turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ndhill
Returning Member

Solar Tax Credit - Errors in TurboTax 2020

Hi, TurboTax is wrong for 2020 Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit. The software states that the credit is 30% of a homeowner's cost, but it should be 26% in 2020. Also, TurboTax tells me that this is a nonrefundable credit (i.e. no refund if greater than my tax liability), but it is actively calculating a HUGE federal refund, which is not right (I am a licensed CPA). Can TurboTax address these errors?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, The residential energy credit (form 5695) allows you to deduct 26% (30% in 2019) of the cost of installing solar energy system from your federal taxes.  It is non-refundable and is used to lower your tax liability, If zero tax, credit will be carryforward to the next year/s.

The form may not be updated in Turbo Tax yet or not finalized by the IRS.

ndhill
Returning Member

Thanks, but TT is calculating the credit as a refundable credit - it is adding over $8,000 to my refund which is wrong. Will there be a fix or do I have to manually update this? Others might trust this and then make an unknown error to their returns. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, I agree and I really don't know how this can happen. This is difficult to try to diagnose on this level since we are unable to view your tax return.  My suggestion is to contact Tax Support at 1-800-446-8848 as they have the ability to look at your screen or order a diagnostic copy of your return to troubleshoot the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ndhill
Returning Member

Unfortunately, I cannot contact a human being at TurboTax. I still do not have an answer for TT calculating the solar tax credit as refundable when it clearly should not be. I have 0 liability this year and it's not calculating it as a carry forward - it is increasing my refund exponentially. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct.  If you do not have a liability, the credit should be carried forward and not refunded to you.

Residential energy credit for solar panels

I recommend updating your software to ensure it's up to date.  This would update your program and correct whatever is not calculating correctly.

You can do this by selecting the Online menu at the top.  

Then select Check for Updates.

Online menu

If that does not rectify the issue, try using the link below to contact us instead.  

Contact TurboTax

Please comment if you are still having issues and we will do our best to assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies