wkbinpa1

Social Security Taxes and Medicare Taxes withheld

In addition to my regular pay, my employer pays me sales commissions and reports it on a W-2 as a statutory employee.  Social security and Medicare taxes are withheld but no income taxes are withheld.   After reporting the commissions on schedule C and not having to file schedule SE,  it seems to me I should be entitled to deduct one-half the SS taxes withheld as a normal business would.  If my assumption is correct; how would I accomplish reporting it on Turbo Tax? 

DanPaul02

As a statuary employee, your employer is withholding half from you and the employer is paying the other half.  You are paying only half of the social security,  A self-employed person pays 100% of the social security and then gets the credit for half of that on Schedule C.

DanPaul02

WAIT A MINUTE .... if you got a W-2 for the commissions separate from the regular W-2  with the box 13 stat emp box marked you do NOT enter that income on the Sch C ... it is entered ONLY in the W-2 section  and the EXPENSES will be reported on the Sch C.  This way you do not get hit with SE taxes a second time.