turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Taxes and Medicare Taxes withheld

In addition to my regular pay, my employer pays me sales commissions and reports it on a W-2 as a statutory employee.  Social security and Medicare taxes are withheld but no income taxes are withheld.   After reporting the commissions on schedule C and not having to file schedule SE,  it seems to me I should be entitled to deduct one-half the SS taxes withheld as a normal business would.  If my assumption is correct; how would I accomplish reporting it on Turbo Tax? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As a statuary employee, your employer is withholding half from you and the employer is paying the other half.  You are paying only half of the social security,  A self-employed person pays 100% of the social security and then gets the credit for half of that on Schedule C.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

As a statuary employee, your employer is withholding half from you and the employer is paying the other half.  You are paying only half of the social security,  A self-employed person pays 100% of the social security and then gets the credit for half of that on Schedule C.

WAIT A MINUTE .... if you got a W-2 for the commissions separate from the regular W-2  with the box 13 stat emp box marked you do NOT enter that income on the Sch C ... it is entered ONLY in the W-2 section  and the EXPENSES will be reported on the Sch C.  This way you do not get hit with SE taxes a second time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies