turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer assigned me to a HSA on accident, I contributed 6750. My employer then backdated healthcare plan to be an HRA. I withdrew 6750. How do I handle this?

I had a life change event last year. When the life change event occurred, my employer assigned me to a HDHP and I contributed 6750 to the HSA.  My employer mistakenly assigned me to this plan.  I wanted a HRA that was not HSA eligible.  After talking with my employer, they back dated my healthcare plan so it would be the HRA the entire year.  Once this happened, I closed my HSA and withdrew all funds - 6750.    My W2 list 6750 in the 12W box.  How do I pay taxes on this amount but not face any penalties???

My Deductibles and OOP Max were resetting mid year with the HSA so that was not the best choice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My employer assigned me to a HSA on accident, I contributed 6750. My employer then backdated healthcare plan to be an HRA. I withdrew 6750. How do I handle this?

So in Turbotax, when you enter your W-2, the contribution will be brought in automatically from the W-2 and will be ineligible.  When you run the 1099-SA interview, you will indicate that you were ineligible, but you had a return of excess contributions. That amount is added back to your taxable wages but you won't owe a penalty.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When you withdrew the HSA money, did you specifically tell the bank that you were withdrawing access an allowable contributions? Or, did you just make a regular withdrawal?

The statement says refund of excess contribution.

So in Turbotax, when you enter your W-2, the contribution will be brought in automatically from the W-2 and will be ineligible.  When you run the 1099-SA interview, you will indicate that you were ineligible, but you had a return of excess contributions. That amount is added back to your taxable wages but you won't owe a penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies