turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where would I claim car taxes I paid in connecticut? I know this is considered a tax deduction

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JohnR1

Where would I claim car taxes I paid in connecticut? I know this is considered a tax deduction

Yes – you may take a credit against your 2016 Connecticut income tax liability for qualifying property tax payments you made to your Connecticut town or taxing district on your privately owned or leased motor vehicle, or both.

The maximum credit allowed on your motor vehicle is $200 per return, regardless of filing status.

The number of motor vehicles eligible for this credit depends on your filing status as shown on the front of your Connecticut income tax return:

1.       Any individual whose filing status is single, filing separately, or head of household is limited to the property tax paid on 1 motor vehicle

2.       Individuals whose filing status is filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) with dependent child are limited to the property taxes paid on 2 motor vehicles

You enter the property taxes paid on your motor vehicle to a Connecticut town or taxing authority in TurboTax as follows:

·         In your return, select State Taxes tab

·         Answering all questions in the state interview section for Connecticut, starting with questions about your income in Connecticut

·         When you have completed your income section, you will come to a page entitled “Take a look at Connecticut credits and taxes”

·         Click on Start button for Property Taxes Credit

·         Complete information about your Connecticut primary residence on “Primary Residence Property Tax Information” page, then click on Continue button

·         You will be asked whether you paid taxes on one or more motor vehicles in Connecticut – click on Yes button

·         Complete all information about property taxes paid on your vehicle on “Motor Vehicle Information” page

For more information, please see Form CT-1040 instructions:

http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/forms/1-2016/incometax/booklets/ct-1040booklet.pdf

jcoa7369

This doesn't work -- there is no prompt for taxes paid on motor vehicles in CT -- it goes from primary residence right back to the home page.

So did anyone figure this out as post above states it does not bring you to the car tax .
tcbtaxllc

Credit for Property Taxes Paid on Your Primary Residence, Motor Vehicle, or Both. The credit is limited to the lesser of $200 or the amount of qualifying property taxes paid. The maximum property tax
credit allowed is $200 per return regardless of filing status.

If your home property taxes max out the $200 credit, TurboTax does not ask for your auto tax. If you do not have home taxes, TurboTax will advance to the auto tax screen.
danni_now

CT resident and the property tax credit show less than $200 but still doesn't prompt for car taxes. Not working as expected.

Credit has income limitations. See table on page 31 of the instructions for CT-1040. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/forms/1-2016/incometax/booklets/ct-1040booklet.pdf">http://www.ct.gov/...>
kas2977

I'm having the same trouble.  I'm not receiving the maximum nor am I prompted to enter my car taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies