Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kash-S-

Since for whatever reason TurboTax didn't give me the option to deduct my item donations this year, can I carry them over for next year instead of filing an amendment?

I always donate various items to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. and keep records for tax deductions at the end of the year. This year, for some reason TurboTax didn't give me the option to enter these donations, stating that I could only deduct a $300 cash donation. I've already filed my taxes but after doing some research, I realized the items should still be tax deductible. I'm wondering if I can claim the donations on next year's taxes instead of filing for an amendment? If TurboTax was correct and I can no longer claim my donations, can someone provide me a reason as to why?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Since for whatever reason TurboTax didn't give me the option to deduct my item donations this year, can I carry them over for next year instead of filing an amendment?

No, you can't carry over donations.

For 2020, there is a special $300 deduction for money-only donations (cash, check, charge) that you can take if you take the standard deduction.  This is not entered in the normal place for donations, but later in the program, and is shown on form 1040 line 10b.   If you itemize your deductions, the value of any donations is listed on schedule A, along with your other itemized deductions, and you can deduct the value of items as well as direct money contributions. 

Turbotax would not have let you claim but itemized deductions on schedule A and the special charity deduction on line 10b.  If you took the standard deduction, the actual tax impact of listing your individual donations might not actually benefit you.  If you itemized your deductions on schedule A but only listed $300 of charity donations, that was your misunderstanding--the program would not have limited you in that way--and you would have to amend to add any new donations. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like based upon your entries when you prepared your original return, your standard deduction was higher than your itemized deductions.  This would have allowed you to claim the $300 above the line adjustment.  

Standard deduction versus Itemized deduction

You will not be able to carry forward your charitable contributions.  They would only be deductible in the year of the donation.

I recommend looking at your total itemized deductions and comparing it the standard deduction amount that applied to you for your filing status in 2020. 

Standard deduction amounts

If you determine the total amount of your charitable contributions would allow you to itemize, you should amend your return to include those donations. 

How to amend my return?

If adding the donations does not allow you to itemize, there would be no overall effect on your tax return and you would not need to amend as your tax return will not change.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies