Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sewer assessment + interest portion was pain in 2018. a) Can I deduct this bill and B) where do I enter this information.

I believe this tax is ad valorem and number of houses among several streets are charged a fixed portion over the years.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Sewer assessment + interest portion was pain in 2018. a) Can I deduct this bill and B) where do I enter this information.

You can deduct the special assessment if it was for maintenance and repairs.  According to the IRS:

Deductible real estate taxes generally don’t include taxes charged for local benefits and improvements tending to increase the value of your property. These include assessments for streets, sidewalks, water mains, sewer lines, public parking facilities, and similar improvements. You should increase the basis of your property by the amount of the assessment.

Local benefit taxes are deductible only if they are for maintenance, repair, or interest charges related to those benefits. If only a part of the taxes is for maintenance, repair, or interest, you must be able to show the amount of that part to claim the deduction. If you can’t determine what part of the tax is for maintenance, repair, or interest, none of it is deductible.

You can only claim a deduction, as a state or local real estate tax, by itemizing your deductions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

You can deduct the special assessment if it was for maintenance and repairs.  According to the IRS:

Deductible real estate taxes generally don’t include taxes charged for local benefits and improvements tending to increase the value of your property. These include assessments for streets, sidewalks, water mains, sewer lines, public parking facilities, and similar improvements. You should increase the basis of your property by the amount of the assessment.

Local benefit taxes are deductible only if they are for maintenance, repair, or interest charges related to those benefits. If only a part of the taxes is for maintenance, repair, or interest, you must be able to show the amount of that part to claim the deduction. If you can’t determine what part of the tax is for maintenance, repair, or interest, none of it is deductible.

You can only claim a deduction, as a state or local real estate tax, by itemizing your deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies