Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RobertM15

Sales Tax - Big Ticket Item + EasyGuide Estimate

I understand I can add a big ticket item sales tax to the EasyGuide calculated sales tax, however, I can't figure out where to adjust for the big ticket sales tax item once I've calculated my estimated sales tax deduction using the EasyGuide. Do I just change the EasyGuide calculated sales tax amount already calculated?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Using Easy Guide for the Sales Tax deduction there is a screen labeled Major Purchases asking you Did you buy in major items in 2023 while living in (your state) you should have selected Yes.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In the EasyGuide, after you enter the state that you lived in and the dates that you lived there, the next screen, "Major Purchases," asks "Did you buy any major items ...?" Click Yes to enter the items and the amount of sales tax you paid.

But saying that you can add "big ticket items" or "major purchases" is a common misunderstanding. This misunderstanding is perpetuated by TurboTax's use of the term "major purchases." What you are allowed to add, according to IRS rules, is the tax on "specified items." The specified items are a motor vehicle, an aircraft, a boat, a home, or a substantial addition to or major renovation of a home. (This is a very simplified list. See the IRS instructions for Schedule A for details and limitations.) On the screen for entering the "major purchases" in TurboTax, there is a drop-down list for the type of item that you are entering. You can only enter items that are in the drop-down list.

RobertM15

Great feedback - thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies