Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting Miscellaneous Income Without Form 1099-MISC?

Last year I got a check in the mail as a healthy living incentive associated with my health insurance, and the accompanying letter said that it was taxable. However, I was never mailed a Form 1099-MISC for this. How do I report this with Turbotax? I attempted to start a Form 1099-MISC and the first question was "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" and the answer of course is that I did not. If I answer no, it asks me no more questions and returns me to the previous page. If I answer yes, I leave the payer's id number blank and type in $0.01 as "other income" (it won't let me continue if I type in $0.00). Only then does the system prompt me to enter in the amount I received as a personal check that wasn't on a tax form, which I do. Going back to the main page, that amount now shows up under "other self-employed income" even though I did not earn any income through self-employment and I did not intend to report it that way.

Would it be better to have entered the actual amount I received on the Form 1099-MISC as if I had actually received such a form?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

No, the better way to enter your healthy living incentive in TurboTax Online would be to:

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown to the right of Income & Expenses
  3. Select StartPick up where you left off or Review/Edit, as appropriate
  4. Scroll down and select the dropdown to the right of Less Common Income
  5. Select  Start or Revisit to the right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  6. On the  Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income page, select Start to the right of Other reportable income
  7. On the  Any Other Taxable Income? screen, select Yes
  8. On the  Other Taxable Income screen enter the description Healthy Living Incentive, then the amount of the incentive.  Select Continue
  9. On the  Other Miscellaneous Income Summary screen, select Done

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

No, the better way to enter your healthy living incentive in TurboTax Online would be to:

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown to the right of Income & Expenses
  3. Select StartPick up where you left off or Review/Edit, as appropriate
  4. Scroll down and select the dropdown to the right of Less Common Income
  5. Select  Start or Revisit to the right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  6. On the  Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income page, select Start to the right of Other reportable income
  7. On the  Any Other Taxable Income? screen, select Yes
  8. On the  Other Taxable Income screen enter the description Healthy Living Incentive, then the amount of the incentive.  Select Continue
  9. On the  Other Miscellaneous Income Summary screen, select Done

Thank you! That was surprisingly straightforward.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies