turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VF1

If I pay off my mortgage loan using a home equity loan in 2018, will the interest on the home equity loan be tax deductible? Thanks

On the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/interest-on-home-equity-loans-often-still-deductible-under-new-law it says "The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, enacted Dec. 22, suspends from 2018 until 2026 the deduction for interest paid on home equity loans and lines of credit, unless they are used to buy, build or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan"...... It doesn't say if it's used to pay off mortgage, will it still be deductible.

I called the IRS and I've been told that they are not ready yet to give out information about the new tax reform and I should check back in couple of months or maybe closer to the end of 2018!

I wanted to get the HEL loan now as I found a good rate which will be much better than refinancing option for me but now it's not clear to me if it will be in my benefit or not.

Please advice.
Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I pay off my mortgage loan using a home equity loan in 2018, will the interest on the home equity loan be tax deductible? Thanks

You can deduct interest on your acquisition debt only.

Acquisition debt is debt used to buy, build, or substantially remodel the home.

Let's suppose you bought the home for $150,000, with 10% down and a $135,000 conventional mortgage.  You have paid off $10,000 and the current remaining balance is $125,000.  You are not doing any remodeling.  In that case, your current acquisition debt is $125,000, so that is the amount of HELOC balance that has tax deductible interest, no matter what amount you borrow.  If you borrowed $150,000, then 83% of your interest would be tax deductible (125000/150000=0.833).  Even though the original purchase price was $150,000, and the current value might be $180,000, your acquisition debt is limited to the amount of the remaining balance of the purchase mortgage that you plan to refinance.

Or, same set of facts, but you borrow $150,000 and use the other $25,000 to remodel the kitchen.  In that case, you have $150,000 of acquisition debt, so all the interest is deductible.  

Also, for loans made in 2018, there is a maximum deductibility of $750,000 of mortgage or HELOC debt.  

View solution in original post

13 Replies

why would you take a HEL to pay off the other mortgage?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
VF1

To lower my interest rate paid on mortgage

Refinance the original loan instead.
VF1

To refinance I'll have to pay closing fee (4 to 5K) VS there is almost no fee or a small fee to get a HEL

as of right now, unless you use that HEL to buy, build or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan, it will not be deductible.....that being said, the standard deduction was raised substantially, many people that benefited from mortgage interest may not see that benefit any longer....as the standard deduction may end up being higher than many people's itemized deductions.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

My opinion is that the 'tracing rules' would view it as a Refinance, and that it would still be deductible Mortgage Interest.

...but only up to the amount of "acquisition debt."
katie12
Returning Member

[SPAM removed]

You can deduct interest on your acquisition debt only.

Acquisition debt is debt used to buy, build, or substantially remodel the home.

Let's suppose you bought the home for $150,000, with 10% down and a $135,000 conventional mortgage.  You have paid off $10,000 and the current remaining balance is $125,000.  You are not doing any remodeling.  In that case, your current acquisition debt is $125,000, so that is the amount of HELOC balance that has tax deductible interest, no matter what amount you borrow.  If you borrowed $150,000, then 83% of your interest would be tax deductible (125000/150000=0.833).  Even though the original purchase price was $150,000, and the current value might be $180,000, your acquisition debt is limited to the amount of the remaining balance of the purchase mortgage that you plan to refinance.

Or, same set of facts, but you borrow $150,000 and use the other $25,000 to remodel the kitchen.  In that case, you have $150,000 of acquisition debt, so all the interest is deductible.  

Also, for loans made in 2018, there is a maximum deductibility of $750,000 of mortgage or HELOC debt.  

VF1

Thanks Opus 17 and TaxGuyBill for your helpful answers but do you have any supporting documents or statements from IRS that can that? I would like to read more about it. Thanks again!

Acquisition and equity debt are defined here starting on page 9. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf</a>

Note this is 2017 information.  The changes for 2018 are that, instead of being able to deduct interest on home acquisition debt plus $100,000 of equity debt, you can only deduct interest on acquisition debt, not on equity debt.  And for 2017, the overall mortgage deduction limit is $1 million, and starting in 2018, the overall deduction limit is lowered to $750,000 for new loans taken out after 1/1/18.

I pay my home off last year I pay 7000 to pay it off 

@Jamesrjohnson You did not ask a question.  Do you have a question?  There is not a deduction for paying off your mortgage, if that was it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies