turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtlucero5

Do I need to still do my taxes even though I did not earn any money last year in the U.S.? I was teaching abroad for all of last year in Thailand

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Do I need to still do my taxes even though I did not earn any money last year in the U.S.? I was teaching abroad for all of last year in Thailand

Yes, you will need to file a US tax return, but you should be eligible to exclude your foreign earned income.

For more information, follow these links: 

Taxpayers Living Abroad

Foreign Income

I can't figure out how I'm eligible to exclude foreign income. Basically if you aren't in the US for 300 something days?

TomD8
Level 15

This IRS reference should answer your question:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion-what-is-fore...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

So I’ve been abroad for almost 2 years now and all my income is foreign income (contract pay from a Chinese company). This can be ‘excluded foreign income’ or exempt or whatever?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@mtlucero5  the above answer  ( that you can use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion ) assumes  (a) you are a US citizen / Resident ( Green Card ) and (b) that you meet the Physical Presence Test  ( absent from US for  at least 330 days  in a continuous 12 month test period).   Also you can claim foreign tax credit on  income taxes paid on not  excluded income that has been taxed by a foreign taxing authority.   As a  US citizen/Resident you have to file a federal return as long as your world income   ( before  foreign earned income exclusion ) is equal or above the  filing threshold for your filing status.

Does this answer your query or do you need more clarification   ( in that case please provide  your dates of foreign stay,  your employer { US or foreign entity}, other benefits provided by the employer,  was your family with you  etc. etc. )

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@bahamilton  do you still need help  --  please read my post first ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies