turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax preparation fees are not deductible in Federal return as per 2018. But they are in CA. Where in Turbotax can I enter that? My state tax shows 0 tax preparation fees

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ChristieB

Tax preparation fees are not deductible in Federal return as per 2018. But they are in CA. Where in Turbotax can I enter that? My state tax shows 0 tax preparation fees

You can enter tax preparation fees in the following location: 

1.) Federal

2.) Deductions and Credits

3.) Other Deductions and Credits

4.) Tax Prep Fees

This information will be transferred automatically to your California Schedule CA (540), Line 20

arsalan75

It is clear how to enter it in federal return however there is no indication that it is applied to the state return (CA). The estimated running state tax refund amount also doesn't move after applying the tax prep fees. I want to see this detail in CA state tax return before paying/filing. Any way to found out?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can print or preview your tax return including all forms and schedules.   You will want to look at the California itemized deductions worksheet.  You may not have enough to itemize in California despite being allowed to.  Taxpayers in California are not required to use the same method used on the federal return.  Married couples who file separate returns must both use the same method.

You can view your entire return or just your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return to preview your entire return, including all forms and worksheets (you may be asked to register or pay first).
    • View only your 1040 form by selecting Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.   
  4. There will options to view the state specific forms also in the left side menu when you are viewing the Tax Summaries.

@arsalan75

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you started the state interview and then made changes in the federal section you must return and complete the state interview again so that the changes can be updated.  Also this may not be enough to change the bottom line of the state. 

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2019 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies