turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

postdoc

How to enter 1042-S in Turbotax Deluxe?

I'm a postdoc, on F1 Visa (STEM extension). I received a 1042-S & am a resident for tax purposes (have been in the US since 2010; no tax treaty exemption). Could you provide instructions on how to report the 1042-S (Income code 16) and D-40 ES (for DC) in the Turbotax Deluxe online system?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

To record your tax withholdings, in TurboTax online program, please use these steps:

1.  Sign back into the program and select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in estimates paid and Enter

3.  Select Jump to estimates paid

4. On the screen, Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid, select the right section to enter information 

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a resident alien on a F-visa, by receiving a Form 1042- S with the code 16, you will treat it as receiving a scholarship or fellowship to offset your qualified education expenses if there are any.  Per IRS, you are required to file a Form 1040 to report your scholarship amount along with your tuition. In the TurboTax program, you would first enter the information under the Federal section, the data would be transferred over to the State section.  Please do revisit the interview questions under the State to verify you do not miss any possible credits and deductions.  

To enter information, please follow these steps:

In TurboTax online edition, 

1. After sign into your account and select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 1098t and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to form 1098T 

4.  On screen, "Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?" answer Yes

5.  Go through the step-by-step interview questions

6.  On screen, "Did you get a 1098-T from school for 2017?" make your selection. Follow prompts to enter your info.

postdoc

Thank you, Lina. I did not receive a 1098-T. Are you saying that I should respond "yes" to "Did you get a 1098-T from school for 2017" and fill in the 1042-S information into that section?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No.  You would answer No and follow prompts.  If you pay any tuition expenses out of pocket, you would still possibly qualify for an education credit or deduction without a Form 1098-T.
postdoc

I am a postdoctoral fellow at the National Institutes of Health so there are no tuition expenses. I am not a candidate for a degree (I graduated in 2015), is this still the correct section to report my income and withheld taxes?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, without any tuition expenses, your scholarship will be treated as a taxable amount.  It will listed as SCH on line 7 of your Form 1040.  To report your tax withholding, please see the following instructions.

Dear Lina,

Thanks for answering the question. I have just started tax return for last year. I also work at NIH as postdoc fellow and got 1042-s (income code: 16 with exemption code of 15). I had F1 until the end of 2018 but was a permanent resident for whole 2019. Could you also go over how I can report this 1042-s for tax return?

Thanks!

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

To report the 1042-S income:

1. After sign into your account and select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 1098t and click the Jump to link

3. On screen, "Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?" answer Yes

5.  Go through the step-by-step interview questions

6.  On screen, "Did you get a 1098-T from school for 2017?" make your selection.  Follow prompts to enter your info.

If you have paid in any tax withholdings, to enter info, please follow these steps:

1.  Sign back into the program and select Take me to my return 

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in estimates paid and Enter

3.  Select Jump to estimates paid

4. On the screen, Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid,, Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099, Click Start 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dear Karen,

Thanks for the kind reply! So for 1098-T section, I put 1099-G (government) information? The form only has number stating that taxable grants: $XX,XXX. So, does that number have to be put into 1098-T's scholarship/grants? Thanks again for your kind reply. I am really confused here. Although I am a permanent resident, I got 1099-G and 1042-S. Typically, government employees pay their estimated Federal tax but my monthly salary has always been paying Federal tax (I don't know if it's full).

Sincerely,

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You can type   grants   into the search box and then click on the "Jump to grants" link

Answer yes and continue in order to report the 1099-G for the grant. 

Jack Jia

Hi there,

I have a similar situation receiving 1042-s form. How did you finally file your tax?

@postdocNIH88 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Jack Jia Please see another post of mine on entering the 1042S with a treaty. If you do not have a treaty, do not enter treaty information.

hennapopli
Returning Member

I am facing the same issue currently, would you be kind enough to help me how you resolved this issue?

@hennapopli

Unfortunately, TurboTax doesn't handle form 1042S because it is a foreign income statement.  You will need to file form 1040NR for Non-resident aliens. In partnership with Sprintax, we offer a nonresident tax filing solution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies