Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Work in NJ, live in NY, how to answer "Did you earn all of your wages in New Jersey?"

Work in NJ, live in NY for the whole year, how to answer "Did you earn all of your wages in New Jersey?"

Should it be Yes? or No and enter 0 for the amount earned in NJ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Work in NJ, live in NY, how to answer "Did you earn all of your wages in New Jersey?"

The answer is yes - if you earned all your wages while in NJ

there may be some issue with NY as they like to tax everything under the sun. 

You will file as a non-resident. 

You will file a NY return as a resident. Likely you will have to include the income on your NY return and then you'll get a credit for the NJ taxes. That's the way it works in IL/IN/WI/MI in the chicago area. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you work in New Jersey, the answer is Yes.  If you are not domiciled in New Jersey, but received source income in New Jersey, you may need to file a nonresident tax return. Source income means the money you earned in New Jersey.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When filing NY resident tax form, in the "Taxes Paid to Another State", there is a field under section "Income Taxed by New Jersey", that is, "Portion Taxed by New Jersey".  What should be entered for "Amount if different"?

In my case, I see all wages amount is under "Portion Taxed by New Jersey". Should I just leave "Amount if different" blank? Thanks.

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would leave that box blank because all your income was taxed in New Jersey. Make sure that you prepare your non-resident state tax return first (New Jersey) followed by your resident state (New York) tax return. 

Please review the TurboTax Help articles Multiple States—Where To File and How do I file a nonresident state return? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies