turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

With holding allowances

since the w4 with holding allowances has changed 2020 we can not figure out how to change the paycheck with holding from 6 to something lower sincere can't claim no longer claim our daughter.  the new 2022 w4 form does not have an area to simply write in . I do not want to go thru nor do I understand all the calculations involved. the online its calculator doesn't even add correctly. my husband claims me as dependent and it put a total of $2260 on step 3. that's as far as we got.

1. we want to be as close to zero and not owe or get refund. how do we establish this since we can no longer claim daughter?

3.  how do we fill form out to have employer change for us. The employer can't help us.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

With holding allowances

Use the TurboTax W-4 calculator it is more user friendly - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

When married you can Never be claimed as a dependent.  You should be filing as Married Filing Jointly even if one spouse has little or no income.

With holding allowances

If you can't handle the instructions on the W-4 paper form (all 4 pages, not just the front page you turn it), and you can't use the IRS online calculator, you may want to pay a professional for advice.

If your employer won't help you, it's because they don't want to be responsible for your personal finances, and I don't blame them.

For most married couples with no children, you will come fairly close if you each submit a new W-4 with steps 3 and 4 blank, and the box in 2c checked.  If your jobs have very different incomes, or if you have large itemized deductions, you will be over-withheld and likely get a refund.  If you have other untaxed income (side gig, investments) you will be under-withheld. 

With holding allowances

i do not work and yes we file jointly. this is about with holdings on pay check. my husband claims 6 and need to adjust since he can't claim our daughter anymore. w4 2021 does not allow for with holdings to be entered. the form changed and we do not know how to enter a lower number

With holding allowances

I don't work so looks like we can't check  box 2C?

With holding allowances

@ourfamily123 wrote:

i do not work and yes we file jointly. this is about with holdings on pay check. my husband claims 6 and need to adjust since he can't claim our daughter anymore. w4 2021 does not allow for with holdings to be entered. the form changed and we do not know how to enter a lower number

If only one spouse works and you have no dependents, simply fill out step 1, check "married filing jointly", and sign the W-4 and turn it in. 

If you have large itemized deductions, filing a "plain" W-4 will result in too much withholding and you would get a refund.  To make an adjustment for your itemized deductions, follow the instructions on page 3 for "Step 4(b) deductions worksheet" and enter the final figure at line 4b on page 1. 

A spouse is never a dependent, and if you don't have dependent children, step 3 should be blank. 

With holding allowances

we take standard deduction not itemized

With holding allowances

just checking married filing jointly how will this be different then the already with holding of 6 claimed currently?

With holding allowances

what do you mean a spouse can't be claimed as a dependent? i do not work. even the state form asks if spouse can be claimed as dependent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies