turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will Intuit update TurboTax 2018 for Mac to include new Form 8911?

It’s February 2020, so I already filed my 2018 tax about a year ago. I installed an EV charging station in 2018. At the time of filing, there was no tax credit. At the end of 2019, Congress renewed 30% tax credit on EV Charging stations and made it effective retroactively, so now I want to amend my 2018 tax to claim the credit.

I understand that I need to file IRS Form 8891 to claim this credit. Will Intuit update TurboTax deluxe 2018 downloadable version for Mac to include IRS’ new Form 8911 that was just released? I ask, because I’m not sure if Intuit keeps forms up to date even on their old software.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since the 2018 software no longer calculates the Taxes correctly and misses out on this significant Credit, I have submitted for a refund of the purchase price of the Software on the basis of the Maximum Refund Guarantee or Your Money Back.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-request-a-refund-for-my-turbotax-product/...

I am not getting my maximum refund - which I can get by filing manually.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, I ran the update and my 2018 TurboTax Download version includes Form 8911.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same situation (installed an EV Charging station at home in 2018). Do I have to file an amended 2018 tax return to request the credit through form 8911?

FWIW - Form 8911 was in TT 2018 deluxe as a placeholder pending the final approval of legislation. I just checked the form on my updated TT 2018 Deluxe. It still shows the Reserved for Future Use and does not calculate the credit correctly. (So despite the update to the software, the form is still not available - not what @DavidS127  just said.)

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, TurboTax will not be upgrading TurboTax 2018.

MauiMack

Leonard, thanks for that information. How does a TurboTax 2018 Deluxe user file an Amended 2018 return without the update in Form 8911?

That is incredibly disappointing. So I cannot fill out my 1040X form using Turbo Tax, because the software is in fact not calculating correctly due to the retroactive nature of the law change...

I'll have to go back and read the fine print to see if I can get a refund on the cost of the software, since Turbo Tax guarantees that the calculations will be correct... Due to tax law change the calculations are no longer correct for 2018, so TT is failing to meet the guaranteed standard.

Since the 2018 software no longer calculates the Taxes correctly and misses out on this significant Credit, I have submitted for a refund of the purchase price of the Software on the basis of the Maximum Refund Guarantee or Your Money Back.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-request-a-refund-for-my-turbotax-product/...

I am not getting my maximum refund - which I can get by filing manually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand TT's stance on this. The form has been updated retroactively so people need to amend returns which has to be mailed in. TT2018 needs an update to facilitate this for their customers.

I have the same issue. My TurboTax 2018 is up to date. 

VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

In December 2019, Congress passed and the President signed into law the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2019 , providing tax relief for millions of Americans. The law extends many already expired provisions that provide tax relief and support for families and individuals, special tax relief for certain disaster victims, and the extension of energy efficient tax credits.

For 2018 we are currently working on adding the extenders into 2018 TurboTax. This is projected to be completed by mid-March 2020.

You can sign up in the link below to receive notifications when this has been completed.

Tax Extenders

This is a complete scam. It is now April 2020 and the TurboTax 2018 is NOT updated. The only way to get the amended return file is to manually override the last line in the "Reserved for Future Use" Form 8911 in the software and fill out the form manually after getting it from the IRS website.

The software doesn't work and is costing me my credit. The ONLY way to get the credit is to apply for it manually (fill out the Form 8911 with a pen) and not through the software. How can that not be grounds for a refund?

And why for the life of anyone good would it take this long to update one simple form? Extreme incompetence seems to be the problem.

TurboTax is helpless to modify the official IRS 2018 tax forms until the IRS issues the revised form.    A form that does not exist cannot be submitted to the IRS.

This is what the current IRS 2018 form 8911 form looks like.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8911--2018.pdf

The IRS has not yet announced how and when they will issue revised 2018 forms or how to amend 2018 tax returns for the many retroactive tax extenders - the 8911 is only one of many.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hello,

Actually, this is absolutely not true. Your link is to the old, obsolete form that is no longer relevant.

The IRS *HAS* released the updated Form 8911 (that can be used for the 2018 credit) and updated its instructions.

It can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8911

The instructions clearly state that this is the form to be used for TY 2018: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8911

RobotBil

Is there any update to this? Im trying to file an amended 2018 return today (June 27 2020) and the software still does not correctly calculate the correct tax credit for EV chargers installed in 2018. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies