turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will i be able to file taxes next year? I have not made enough this year but i do have a child will i still be able to get the child tax credit next year?

I may have made a couple hundred dollars.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Will i be able to file taxes next year? I have not made enough this year but i do have a child will i still be able to get the child tax credit next year?

You can get the child tax credit and/or additional child tax credit on any tax return for any year that you file if you have enough income and if you claim a child as a dependent under the age of 17. You may also qualify for earned income credit with only $1 of earned income. You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else and get these credits. 

What source of income do you have if you are not working? Are you living with someone else who can claim you and your child as dependents?

I did receive a paycheck this year from my prior job. Right now I receive cash assistance through the state of Virginia. I claimed my daughter this year and I plan to do it next year. 

@alexusfrazier You asked about the child tax credit.  You will not receive the child tax credit unless you have at least $2500 of income earned from working.  And even at that amount the refundable part will be very little.    The child tax credit can be used to reduce tax you owe.  The "refundable" part of the CTC is based on how much you earn over $2500.  Anything you earn OVER $2500 can by multiplied by 15%  for a refund.  So let's say you earned $3500.  15% of the $1000 over $1500 would give you a refund of $150.

So....unless you actually work in 2020, you cannot count on getting much-- if anything --  from the child tax credit next year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies