turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmassidda

Why is turbotax telling me to take itemized deduction when it is $15000, and standard deduction is $24000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Why is turbotax telling me to take itemized deduction when it is $15000, and standard deduction is $24000?

Are you married filing separately?  If so and your spouse itemizes, you must also itemize.  Of course the standard deduction is $24,000 only if you file jointly.  If you file jointly you should be getting the standard deduction unless you told TurboTax to do otherwise to be able to get some greater benefit on your state tax return on which you would otherwise have to take the state standard deduction (in some states).

jmassidda

I am married filing  jointly.  I didn't tell Turbo Tax to use the itemized deduction.  It's telling me that my taxes will be lower if I itemize ($15000 total deductions) vs. using the standard deduction.

dmertz
Level 15

Perhaps you are misreading an indication by TurboTax that your combined state and federal income taxes might be lower if you itemize deductions on your federal tax return to allow itemizing on your state tax return.  However, given that the gap between itemized deductions and the federal standard deduction is rather large, it's doubtful that doing so would be beneficial.

Confirm the amount of the deduction actually being used by looking at line 9 of your Form 1040.

jmassidda

No, state taxes aren't lower by itemizing.  I think the issue is that some of my taxes are from AMT.  Does that make sense?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"No, state taxes aren't lower by itemizing."

Are you asking about taking the standard deduction in a state or on your federal return?

A number of states have a different standard deduction than the federal return or have other differences.

So are you asking about a state return or the federal and what is the state?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Ah yes, AMT could be the reason.  The standard deduction will not lower your AMT but itemized deductions might.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies