Solved: Re: Why is $3000 in capital losses not being deduc...

Jack2572

Why is $3000 in capital losses not being deducted from my federal tax of ~$1000?

I owe roughly ~$1,000 in federal income tax. When I enter my capital losses of $3,000+ in the TurboTax Free File Program, only a very small percentage is deducted from the total tax owed. Can anyone explain this? I was under the impression that I should not have to pay any taxes if my short term capital losses were greater than my federal income tax due. Thanks!

tagteam

Capital losses and capital gains are netted.

If you have a net capital loss, then the amount of the loss you can deduct from other income is limited to $3,000 per year ($1,500 if married and filing a separate return). 

See https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/capital-gains-and-losses-10-helpful-facts-to-know-0

Country Apple

Capital losses reduce your taxable income, thereby reducing your tax.  Capital losses are not tax credits and do not lower your taxes dollar for dollar.  A $3,000 capital loss would translate to a small amount of tax.

tagteam