turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lzo
Level 2

Where to enter meals with clients and prospective clients (or any business related meal)?

Hi -

Trying to figure out where this goes.  I know this year 'entertainment' expenses are not deductible, but what about meals where significant business is discussed?

In business income and expenses, under 'other common business expenses' there's a "Meals" section, but it says "Meals while traveling".

Would I enter those meals in too?  Not all of them were when traveling - some of them were local.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
zafzafzaf

Where to enter meals with clients and prospective clients (or any business related meal)?

So, the below answer doesn't help if I am not mistaken. I can't figure out where to enter meals while NOT traveling, on in the software. Any pointers?

Agreed, this does not answer the question; I have Home and Business and there is NO line titled "Meals and Entertainment" Hopefully someone from TT is actually monitoring these.
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you get a W-2 , they aren't deductible. if you're self employed there's a line for them in schedule C 

Generally, you may deduct only 50% of your business meals expenses, including meals incurred while away from home on business. For individuals subject to the Department of Transportation (DOT) hours of service limits, the percentage is increased to 80% for business meals consumed during, or incident to, any period of duty for which those limits are in effect. If you are a family daycare provider and provide meals or snacks to eligible children, deduct 100% of the cost using either your actual costs or the standard meal and snack rates.

Enter your meals expenses that are subject to the 50% limitation on line 24b: "Subject to 50% limit." These expenses include most meals expenses you incur.

Enter your meals expenses that are subject to the 80% limitation on line 24b: "Subject to 80% limit." These expenses are subject to the Department of Transportation (DOT) hours of service limits,

Enter your meals that are not subject to the 50% limitation on line 24b: "NOT subject to limit."

The program will: total all the meals expense on line 24b, compute the 50% and 20% disallowed portion and the total deductible meals on line 24b. 

lzo
Level 2

What if I was a W2 employee the second half of the year, but had my LLC the entire year.  The first 6 months of 2018 that was my entire source of income, and even the last 6 months, despite being a W2 employee, I had expenses related to the LLC as I continue(d) to build it.  I made clear delineation between expenses related to my W2 job and expenses related to my LLC side business.  Would I STILL not be able to count the LLC meals/expenses?

In 2019 TT Home and Business, you can enter this information under Business Income and Expenses/Business Expenses/Other Common Business Expenses/Meals/Meals: 50% Limit. 

TT notes for this entry that "Meal expenses include: ...Hosting a group business dinner at your home or a restaurant. Hosting a a group business dinner at private club [listed under more examples]."

This information then flows to the Schedule C Worksheet and Schedule C line 24b Meals: Subject to 50% limit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies