turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

toni-stan

Where do I report sale of inherited home?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DS30

You would report this as the sale of a capital asset. If this was not the sale of your primary residence (which is not deductible) you can report the loss as a capital loss.

You will each need to report your proportion share of the gain on your individual income tax returns as the sale of a capital asset.

Click this link for further information about reporting the sale of a capital asset

• To enter this transaction in TurboTax, log into your tax return and type "investment income (gains and losses)" in the search bar then select "jump to investment income (gains and losses)". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information (see step 6 below) 

Alternatively, To enter this transaction in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Personal Income" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Investment Income”
  5. Choose “Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other” and select “start’ (or “update” is you have already worked on this section) (see Screenshot #1)
  6. The first screen will ask if you sold any investments during the current tax year (This includes any sale of real property held as an investment property so answer “yes” to this question)
  7. Since you did not receive a 1099-B, answer “no” to the 1099-B question
  8. Choose type of investment you sold - select everything else
  9. Some basic information:
    1. Description –  Usually the address of the property sold
    2. Sales Proceeds – Net proceeds from the sale 
    3. Date Sold – Date you sold the property
  10. Tell us how you acquired the property - inheritance
  11. Enter the date inherited
  12. Enter the your fair market value - Fair Market Value of the property at the time of inheritance plus any capital improvements since inheriting it 
  13. If you had a loss, on the question of "Did you use this property for business or investment?" If the inherited house was not used for any personal use (no family member lived in it or used it between the time of inheritance and the sale), you will answer that this was for investment (see screenshot)

Click IRS answers on Gifts and Inheritance for more information from the IRS on the sale of an inherited house.

One additional note: you may also have a state filing requirement in the state where the property was located if it was not your home state. You may need to contact the state's Department of Revenue in the state where the property was located for more information. Click this link State Department of Revenue Contacts

I followed these instructions, however, there were some expenses related to the sale of the inherited house.  Following the instructions, there is no place to enter the selling expenses, additionally I tried to manually adjust the Form 8949 that is generated by TurboTax to enter the expenses, and I am unable to manually correct the form.

JamesG1
    Expert Alumni

You may have to add your selling expenses to the cost basis and maintain a separate explanation of how that figure was derived.

DS30 above may be alluding to that possibility when it states in line (12):

• Enter the your fair market value - Fair Market Value of the property at the time of inheritance plus any capital improvements since inheriting it.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
    **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In the mobile app, I am not finding a section to report that some or not all of the proceeds belong to me. Where is this section? If I report the full market value, I am essentially claiming the part of the inheritance that belong to someone else. 

AnnetteB6
    Employee Tax Expert

There is not a specific section to report that part of the proceeds are not yours.  For your portion, you should only report your proceeds and adjust the basis of the property to represent your share of ownership.  

For example, if you owned 50% of an inherited home with a basis of $100,000 for the whole home, you would include $50,000 as the basis of the sale of your half of the property.

@turbokatheim 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
    **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! My one sibling had this option with their Turbo tax software,but it’s not on the mobile version. I will proceed as you suggest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies