Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lostarly

Where do I record mortgage interest for RV. I received a letter but not a 1098 from Bank of America

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

Where do I record mortgage interest for RV. I received a letter but not a 1098 from Bank of America

If the RV definitely qualifies as a second home, but you don’t have a 1098, you can just enter the box 1 “Mortgage interest” amount (as well as the other info which is applicable) as if there was a 1098. The return that will be sent to the IRS will just have the deduction amount (on Schedule A), and the IRS knows that not all interest has a matching 1098. (But you’ll definitely want to have statements from the lender or other documentation ready in case they’re curious later…)

Once you tell the TurboTax program it’s a second home and proceed, you’ll actually see a “What if I don’t have my 1098?” link at the bottom of the 1098 screen itself. This clarifies getting the info itself even if you didn’t get the 1098 or none was issued, and hopefully will make you comfortable with this, lostarly!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You didn't get a 1098 because (a) the loan is not a mortgage or (b) the interest was less than $600.

You may or may not be able to deduct the interest on the RV loan. If you can deduct it, it would be treated  as mortgage interest for a second home and entered on Schedule A.

For the RV loan interest to qualify for a deduction, the RV must have sleeping facilities, cooking facilities, and toilet facilities.

For the loan interest to be deductible, the loan must be secured by the RV. In other words, the loan cannot be a personal loan or a general line of credit. The RV must be collateral for the loan.

You can only deduct mortagge interest for two homes. If you have a primary home, a vacation home, and an RV, you must choose two of those three.

lostarly

The RV meets the requirements of being a second home and the loan for purchasing it is secured by the the RV.  The problem is there is not a 1098 for it and there is no place to log the info in turbo tax for the interest.  To continue my return i entered the info as if I had a 1098.  It appears to me there should be another method for entering the info.

RalphH1
Expert Alumni

If the RV definitely qualifies as a second home, but you don’t have a 1098, you can just enter the box 1 “Mortgage interest” amount (as well as the other info which is applicable) as if there was a 1098. The return that will be sent to the IRS will just have the deduction amount (on Schedule A), and the IRS knows that not all interest has a matching 1098. (But you’ll definitely want to have statements from the lender or other documentation ready in case they’re curious later…)

Once you tell the TurboTax program it’s a second home and proceed, you’ll actually see a “What if I don’t have my 1098?” link at the bottom of the 1098 screen itself. This clarifies getting the info itself even if you didn’t get the 1098 or none was issued, and hopefully will make you comfortable with this, lostarly!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies