Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I find the area to enter: Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Wks: Debt on date last secured must be entered and fair market value of home must be entered..?!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Where do I find the area to enter: Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Wks: Debt on date last secured must be entered and fair market value of home must be entered..?!!!!

To find where you enter the mortgage interest information you should:

1. Enter Mortgage Interest in search magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  2. Select Jump to mortgage interest.
  3. You should be at the first page to enter your mortgage interest or to make corrections on what you have entered.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have been back to the subject multiple times. All info is correct, but I still get the error on the Iowa error check.

The problem is in one particular 1098 from a refi company. They fall between my original loan and my current mortgage holder. I have tried multiple times and ways to get around it.

The difference is 600 in my pocket. otherwise I would just skip that 1098.

Also, I see nowhere to enter current market value.

Thank you

I am also getting those two errors when filing out the Iowa forms.  I have looked in the Iowa forms, and I have looked in the federal forms.  I can't seem to find the "Debt on date last secured" or the "fair market value of home" fields.  Where are they???

I'm also getting these same errors. The Iowa Information worksheet is popping up. There was not a Deductible Home Mortgage Wks creating going through the step by step method. I went to forms and created this worksheet but it doesn't have the info sections that are being flagged.

I'm getting these same errors when finalizing my Iowa tax return and cannot skip past this to file.  I have been back through my 1098 information (both for a 1st mortgage and a HELOC), have double-checked all the numbers, and still cannot find where I'm supposed to enter the "debt on date last secured" or the "fair market value." 

Can someone from TurboTax please provide screen shots or some other guidance to complete this step? I understand the logic and the reason for what the question is asking for but cannot actually locate where to input this information in TurboTax.  

Please help ASAP. I'm ready to file. 

I am having the exact same issue as other posters have indicated.  @Turbotax please provide guidance asap.  

I called the help desk and talked to somebody about this.  We stepped through the Iowa step by step, and looked at the federal mortgage entries.  Then I got disconnected from the agent.  They haven't called back, and my issue was closed.  No resolution...

I also contacted Help Desk and all they did to remediate it was refund my payment because the agent nor her peers could figure the issue out. Another issue is that once you printed, the forms required to make the changes to send in (file by mail), werent included in the print folio, but they were listed in the forms section of my return. That prevents people from being able to file by mail as suggested. Now that my money is refunded, I am going to try and do the Windows downloaded version, as you can manually go to each form and enter in the data that way vs online version - a little bit of an effort, but I dont feel like changing tax prep after a decade of using TurboTax.

Thank you. I did use the Windows version.

Can you tell me what form I am even looking for?

Yes, it is the Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet.

Thanks for the info.  Could you please reply if everything worked with the downloaded version?  

I spoke with one of the experts and she thought that this may be due to one of the forms that is currently not available. The form is supposed to be available on 2/6. Hopefully then the process can be completed. Not confident on this answer though. I think there will be another call. Let me know if you find the right fields on the worksheet. I didn't find the spots on that worksheet.

2Cone

I deleted my 1098s and re entered this year's info all over and this resolved the problem.  Don't spend any extra money until you try this.

I called requesting a refund as I was unable to complete my state taxes and had already completed my taxes utilizing a competitor with no issue.  I had paid for both the federal and state returns, and had not yet filed either.  I was told initially they would not credit either, then I was told they would credit the state, then the line went dead.  I did receive a call back from Catherine explaining her Internet went down and that was the reason for the lost call.   She was more than helpful, but was did not have decision making authority on the full credit.  If I would have known I was unable to submit my state return prior to paying I would not have paid.  Refusal to credit the federal portion of my return which was never submitted is tantamount to stealing considering this was Turbotax’s coding error and you can use the web service for free. Ultimately no service was provided with no returns actually submitted.  I have been a turbotax user for almost a decade and find this lack of customer service unacceptable.  Needless to say, I will never use this service again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies