Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I filed my taxes in Mar 2021 for 2020 year, I did not claim a child, as I just had a child in Feb 2021. Am I eligible for advance payments for the Child Tax Credit?

I am seeing conflicting reports that I am eligible. The IRS website makes it seem like I am not
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

When I filed my taxes in Mar 2021 for 2020 year, I did not claim a child, as I just had a child in Feb 2021. Am I eligible for advance payments for the Child Tax Credit?

Yes you are eligible for the advance CTC payment  however if you don't get it in advance you can get it on the 2021 return you file next year.   EVENTUALLY  the IRS will open that portion of the portal where you can add the child for the advance payments ... see the info here under MANAGE PAYMENTS  :    https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

You would never be able to list a child born in 2021 on your 2020 return.

You will qualify for the enhanced child tax credit on your 2021 tax return.  The IRS has said they will open a web site where taxpayers can add newborns, but that hasn't happened yet.  Remember that the advance payment doesn't change the amount of the credit, just when it gets paid, so you will get the full amount of the credit eventually. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies