turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What line shows the sale of a property on a schedule e?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

the sale does not flow to schedule E. most likely it flows to form 4797 page 2 and from there to schedule D line 11  and/or schedule 1 line 4 . 

I don't see form 4797 but I do see schedule 1 and line 4 is blank... The most likely means I did not enter the sales price?

The sale is reported in the ASSET section of the rental prop entries ... did you ever depreciate the property ?  If you did not then RUN to a local tax pro to get this error fixed since depreciation was REQUIRED and not an option.  

I've had it since 2004 so it was depreciated in prior years taxes.  I just don't know why I wasn't promoted to enter a sales price.  I will amend when filed.  Unless you have a different suggestion.  

If you have already filed then once the original return has fully processed you can amend it.   In the rental section review the assets being depreciated ... that is where you indicate the rental was sold.  This would stop the depreciation being taken and prompt you for the sale price & costs of sale.   If you have more than one asset for this rental then you need to prorate the costs appropriately.  

rental asset sold.png

Thank you!  I clicked the box that said I purchased this asset new.  Thanks so much...I'm going to amend as soon as it's out of pending status 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies