turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hc20134

What is double taxed state income? I was paid separately while living in separate states, would i need to put in an amount? While a Ut resident i was not taxed by both NM

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

What is double taxed state income? I was paid separately while living in separate states, would i need to put in an amount? While a Ut resident i was not taxed by both NM

Double taxed state income generally occurs when you live in one state while working in another state.

Usually the state where you live wants to tax your income no matter where it was earned.  Also, the state where you earned the income wants to tax it because you earned it in that state.  Therefore, the income is taxed by both states.

To overcome the double taxation, you can usually claim a credit for taxes paid to another state on the resident state tax return. 

In your case, if there was a clear separation of income earned only while living in each state and you are filing a part-year resident return for each state, then there should not be any double-taxed income

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Double taxed state income generally occurs when you live in one state while working in another state.

Usually the state where you live wants to tax your income no matter where it was earned.  Also, the state where you earned the income wants to tax it because you earned it in that state.  Therefore, the income is taxed by both states.

To overcome the double taxation, you can usually claim a credit for taxes paid to another state on the resident state tax return. 

In your case, if there was a clear separation of income earned only while living in each state and you are filing a part-year resident return for each state, then there should not be any double-taxed income

I am currently working in Minnesota, but I'm paying California state tax ,too..what should I do?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It depends on why you are paying California state tax @Elpiwolphy. Are you a California resident working in MN, or did you move to MN from CA and keep the same job?

California doesn't tax you unless you are working in California, unless you are a resident. Residents pay tax on income earned everywhere.

If you are a CA resident working in MN, you'll file a resident CA return and a nonresident MN return. You can claim a credit on the CA return for tax paid to MN. Prepare the nonresident return first and TurboTax will figure the credit for you.

If CA tax was withheld by mistake, you'll have to file a return with $0 CA income to get the money back. You'll still pay MN tax on your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies