Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What do I do with my 5498-SA form? Please see below for further details.

To find HSA section, look in Medical Deductions and Credits/ HSA, MSA.
This section asks if you made HSA contribution. When you answer Yes, there should be a screen Enter Your HSA Contributions. The last line is "All Other Contributions".

Thanks for your help... this saved me some  money.

Great. Glad to help.
ESabis

Our company's health insurance is through United Healthcare - Allsavers Division.  The cover letter on the 5498-SA that we receive from the HSA Bank clearly states "The enclosed IRS tax form 5498-SA shows your contributions for tax year 2019 to your HSA account.  Please use this information to fill out IRS tax form 8889 which is what you'll need to submit your taxes."

United Healthcare - Allsavers Division offers an exercise program to participating employees.  The employees can earn up to $3/day by meeting exercise goals.  Quarterly, the monies earned from meeting these goals are deposited directly into the employee's HSA accounts with no visibility to us as the employer.  These amounts are then included on 5498-SA that our employees receive from the HSA bank.  

Therefore, our employees W-2 box 12-W does not agree with their 5498-SA with the difference typically being the amounts earned through the exercise program which can be up to almost $1100/year and twice that if the employee's spouse participates.  I believe that these exercise program monies are required to be included in the amounts reported to the IRS?  

It would seem that TurboTax needs to accommodate this type of situation by creating steps for taxpayers to input their 5498-SA and adding the information to IRS form 8889 ?  

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

"Form 5498-SA reports contributions to your Health Savings Account (HSA), Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA. But you do not enter this form into TurboTax; your account custodian sends it to you for informational purposes only. TurboTax recommends that you keep it with your tax return records."  Ref: turboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
budpackers7
Returning Member

tks

ESabis

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, your quote correctly copies the TurboTax help system.  However, the the help system does not address my questions which directly contradict what TurboTax writes.  I am hoping that a TurboTax moderator will please read the questions carefully and explain why the financially different 5498 can be ignored on our tax returns and just kept for our records.   

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You will report additional contributions that are made outside of your payroll deductions separately. This includes contributions made on behalf of the exercise program.

Under the Deductions & Credits menu, follow these steps:

• Expand the menu for Medical
  • Click Start/Revisit next to HSA, MSA Contributions
  • Confirm the account ownership and click Continue
  • Continue in through the screens until you reach Let's enter your HSA contributions
  • Stop here. Do not enter anything already reported on your W-2. Enter only those contributions made outside of payroll.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies