turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage interest seems to be limited by $10,000 SALT limit (EDIT- actually it's the $750K mortgage error)

EDIT- It turns out the error is due to a refi I did in 2020, it is a well known bug that TurboTax doesn't handle mortgage balances very well. Instead of recognizing you only had 1 mortgage at any given time during the year, it combines the old and new lender amounts. If the total is then over $750,000, it caps your mortgage interest deduction.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/bug-with-refinance-on-a-large-mo...

The worst part of the bug is that the program never actually tells you you exceeded the $750,000 mortgage balance limit, if it told you that at least you would know something is wrong

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Mortgage interest seems to be limited by $10,000 SALT limit (EDIT- actually it's the $750K mortgage error)

2 Replies

Okay, I think I am hit by the bug regarding mortgage balance double-counting, which is lowering my mortgage interest deduction enough to put me in the standardized deduction category:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/how-do-i-enter-1098s-for-the-ori...

I refinanced in 2020, then the loan was transferred a few days later. So I had 3 entries in the mortgage interest worksheet. But when I delete 2 of them and just enter my total mortgage interest and property tax for the year in a single entry for just the one bank, TurboTax now picks itemized deductions and my numbers seem to be correct.

I'll wait for the bug fix for this, obviously I want to have the actual information from my 1098 forms.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies