turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment and lookback provision

If someone only has unemployment for this tax year and no earned income at all can they use the lookback provision or do they have to have some earned income for the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

YES ... your situation is  exactly why there is a look back option this year ... take advantage of it.  

Its not my situation I'm asking for someone else. The software is not triggering for them to use the lookback provision. When I put in my information I was able to use the provision but I dont have unemployment just made less because of working less. The other person only had unemployment and can't get the software to ask about it.

scmist

I logged into TT this morning to see if  "look back" had been updated.  It wasn't on the opening page after logging in - so I went back line by line on my Federal return.

Since this provision falls under EIC, I selected 2019 when I got to that section and it let me change it (rather than using 2020).  In other words, it didn't flag it as an issue.  I did a review again of my returns and still no flag.  Also researched look back on the web to check.

I'm submitting today as believe this is correct and I still have time if there should be an issue.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies