turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Schedule 8812: Advance payments received must be entered? / Principal Place of Abode and Letter 6416 Information Smart Worksheet

In TurboTax Online you can follow these steps to get to the Advance Child Tax Credit payment section:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return.
  2. Search for Child Tax Credit.
  3. Click the Jump to child tax credit link and Continue.
  4. Answer the question on the Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021 screen and Continue.
  5. On the Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments screen, answer Yes, enter the amount from your letter in the Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments box, and Continue.
    • If your spouse also received payments, be sure to enter that amount as well.
  6. Answer the questions on the following screens, confirm your amount on the Let's recheck your advance Child Tax Credit payments screen, and Continue.

@kbell101

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule 8812: Advance payments received must be entered? / Principal Place of Abode and Letter 6416 Information Smart Worksheet

I keep getting the same thing.  It asks for advanced payments for form 8812. This is for my 21 year old sons taxes.  He has no children.  Just another bug in TurboTax this year.  Very, very, very dissapointed in TT this year!  So many problems!!

@deanadk wrote:

I keep getting the same thing.  It asks for advanced payments for form 8812. This is for my 21 year old sons taxes.  He has no children.  Just another bug in TurboTax this year.  Very, very, very dissapointed in TT this year!  So many problems!!

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Interesting.   I’ve had no kids at home and never visited any of those pages til being prompted to clear up the 8812 issue.  

I didn't use turbotax for taxes this year. I had my taxes done by a personal CPA.

I need to have the 8812 schedule deleted

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

If you want to delete Schedule 8812,

1. Open your return
  2. Go to Tax Tools >> Tools to open the Tools Center
  3. Click on Delete a form
  4. Scroll down the list of forms
  5. Click on Delete next to Schedule 8812.

@stab1940

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I deleted the form, 8812, however it popped back up again at the end when reviewing errors.  I finally entered 0 in the amount and the error cleared up, however the form stayed with the return no doubt being transmitted to the IRS.  Who knows what kinds of problems that will cause next year.  I’m so disappointed in TurboTax this year!

@deanadk wrote:

I deleted the form, 8812, however it popped back up again at the end when reviewing errors.  I finally entered 0 in the amount and the error cleared up, however the form stayed with the return no doubt being transmitted to the IRS.  Who knows what kinds of problems that will cause next year.  I’m so disappointed in TurboTax this year!

No, the Schedule 8812 will not be included with the filed tax return.  You do not have any dependents and you did not receive any advanced child tax credits in 2021.

Shouldn't TurboTax know the form isn’t necessary since I entered early on in the process he was a single student with no children/dependents?  From what I’m reading a lot of people had the same problem resulting in a lot of confusion and unnecessary anxiety.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@deanadk 

There are circumstances in which a person who is single with no children on their 2021 tax return could have received advance Child Tax Credit payments. That's why TurboTax has to ask everyone the question. It's not a bug. There is no other way that TurboTax can be certain that the taxpayer did not receive advance payments. It can't make assumptions based on the current tax return.

I agree, and it's even OK to ask the question again.  It's not cool to have the program hung up asking a question over and over again.   Like last year, they had a year to fix their buggy software and whiffed again. 

what line on 8812 should the "0" be entered.

what line on 8812?

why is it giving me anything if I have 0 dependents and Single in my profile on the 1040?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies