turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax giving me a sales tax break of $2,461.00

I am itemizing my deductions since my total is over the 24000 deduction (due to mortgage interest and contributions to charity). While doing it, Turbo tax asked me for the sales tax of my area saying it was a deduction where I could claim the deduction for large ticket items. I entered the sales tax rate of 8.6% but mentioned NO when asked if we had purchased any large items. Why am I still getting a sales tax break of $2,461.00

I dont mind the extra money but concerned that this could trigger an audit when we didnt have any big purchases.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can take the Sales Tax Deduction, even if you had no large purchases.  The IRS has a table for this deduction, based on family size and income.  

If the table amount is larger than State Income Tax you paid on wages or other income, you get the larger deduction.

Click the link for more info on the Sales Tax Deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you have any doubts, you can doublecheck your amount at the IRS Tax Calculator. Sales Tax Calculator

The state sales tax rate is the rate that is charged on the tangible personal property (and sometimes services) across the state. These usually range from 4-7%. For example, the state rate in New York is 4% while the state sales tax rate in Tennessee is 7%. 

Here's how to find your total state and local sales tax rate: 

- Look for the sales tax rate (percentage) on store receipts you received in 2019.

- Ask a local merchant for the sales tax rate they charge.

- Contact your local taxing agency.

Make sure you enter your total sales tax rate. Depending on where you lived, you could have one of the following tax rates: 

1. Both state and local sales taxes: To get the total sales tax rate, add the state tax rate and the local tax rate.

2. No state or local sales tax: Enter the sales tax rate as 0.

3. State sales tax, but no local tax: Enter the state sales tax rate.

4. No state sales tax, but local tax: In this case (except Alaska residents), we cannot calculate your sales tax deduction for you. You must enter the total amount of sales tax you actually paid.

@ColeenD3  Thank you for the response, my question is even though i had no big purchases this year,am i still eligible for the sales tax deduction. Turbo tax thinks I am. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can take the Sales Tax Deduction, even if you had no large purchases.  The IRS has a table for this deduction, based on family size and income.  

If the table amount is larger than State Income Tax you paid on wages or other income, you get the larger deduction.

Click the link for more info on the Sales Tax Deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies