Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where to enter foreign pension income and foreign tax credits?

THANKS for the NY state response

actually in this case I am receiving German Social Security , which for Federal return is treated exactly as US SSA, ie how much of it will be taxable, eg max of 85%

NY state does not tax US SSA income, so my question was how German Social Security income is treated on NY State return?

thanks

Your foreign pension is taxable on your 1040 and IT-201.

You can exclude max 20K of your retirement pensions in NY (IRA, 401K and foreign retirement pensions) if you qualify.

Thanks for your comments . I do totally agree with the idea to have a generic 1099 R . It would facilitate very much our tax return preparation. 

Hi Park NYC and others members of this chat.

1.- Coming back on foreign pension treatment at Federal and State levels and after the excellent messages we exchanged already and summarizing, I think the following but I would appreciate to have your view on it. 

2.- Anybody receiving Social Security Pensión and any other pension from a country that have no a bilateral agreement on pensions tax treatment with the US, the foreign pension is 100 taxed , even if it’s a Social Security pensión. . No doubt on it.

3.- Regarding particularly to New Jersey State, it does not tax US SS income, but foreign ones are taxable anyway . The written explanation given by NJ Taxation Regulatory Services Branch is the following:

“Items excludable from New Jersey gross income tax are set forth at 54A:6-2 to 54A:6-9. N.J.S.A. 54A:6-1. In relevant part, “All payments received under the Federal Social Security Act, whether they be regularly monthly benefits or lump sum death benefits” are excludable. N.J.S.A. 54A:6-2. As such, foreign source pension payments are considered taxable income for these purposes because the payment was not made under the Federal Social Security Act.

While the foreign source payments are considered taxable income, the income still may be excludable under the pension exclusion. Generally, a taxpayer can exclude all or part of the pension income reported when meeting the following conditions: 

• You (and/or your spouse/civil union partner, if filing jointly) were 62 or older or disabled as defined by Social Security guidelines on the last day of the tax year (December 31 for calendar year filers); and 
  • Your total income for the entire year was $150,000 or less. 

When you and your spouse/civil union partner file a joint return and only one of you is 62 or older or disabled, you can still claim the maximum pension exclusion. However, you can exclude only the pension, annuity, or IRA withdrawal of the qualified spouse/civil union partner. 

If you qualify, you can claim the lesser of your actual taxable pension income or the maximum pension exclusion amount for your filing status and gross income”

4.- With this written statement that I received from NJ Taxation Authority, there shouldn’t be doubt that: (i) at Federal level all foreign pensions are taxable unless a bilateral agreement states otherwise and (ii) at State level -and as far as NJ State is concern- “while foreign source pension payment are considered taxable income, the income may be excludable under the pension exclusion” ( this is the wording used by the NJ informant tax agency) . It’s an essential assertion. Isn’t it?. 

5.- The exclusion will be allowed if the taxpayer is 62 or older and if his/her total income is 150 k or lower. 

6.- I think that for New Jerseyans is clear. It would be important if Turbo Tax could offer a Generic 1009 R otherwise the only option will be to override the system and report the foreign source pension payment directly on the State Tax Return Form Line referred to pensions. For NJ 1040 Tax Return Form the line should be Line 20a) and NOT Line 27 referred to other income or miscellaneous. 

Comments from anybody participating in this chat will help us enriching our understanding on how to report foreign pension for tax purposes . 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. The program is much better this year with handling the 1099-R and allowing you to create a substitute 1099-R.  

2. Correct. "Absent application of a particular treaty provision, foreign social security pensions are generally taxed as if they were foreign pensions or foreign annuities." from IRS pension and annuity distributions

3. NJ does tax the income and offer the exclusion where allowed.

4. Correct. Here is my fake substitute 1099-R from federal as shown in the NJ state section

Provided you correctly answer the questions, the 1099-R will flow through to NJ. If you qualify for the pension exclusion in NJ, the program will handle it for you.

5. Yes, or disabled.

6. The best way to enter the foreign income is on a substitute 1099-R. If you have a foreign pension, please see my post here.

@Kosetife 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It doesn't work, it still asks to fill out payer's federal identification number. If you leave it blank, you won't be able to e-file. I created a substitute 1099-R form, still no go!

Sorry, could you clarify what are you referring at when you write “ still no go” ?

What happen if instead of a substitute 1099 R the taxpayer override the system and go through “mode form”? Does not work either ? 
Thanks 

I agree 100 per cent with you when you say that for some taxpayers that live in States that allow pension / retirement exclusion it’s no a good option to report foreign pensions as “other incomes” or miscellaneous because they will no be allowed to get the exclusion . This is for example my case in New Jersey . 
Even today TurboTax system doesn’t facilitate filing online the so called substitute1099 R . H&R Block does .

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You may override the system in the Forms mode but ultimately, you will still need to paper file your return. There is really no way to manipulate the form to file electronically other then attempting to enter all one's or all nine's as an EIN. Try this first to see if this works before paper filing or going to H&R Block. Sometimes it may work for some.

@Kosetife 

I know that overriding the system will mean to go thru paper filing anyway. That’s why I never did that. When I said H&R Block assists in filing substitute 1099 R I meant that TurboTax could do the same by incorporating in the system the option to get a generic substitute. That’s it. Perhaps you that are a professional tax related matters that have been involved for so many years with Turbo Tax could help this happen. Thanks again .

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It may be possible to report the income one way for federal tax purposes and another way for state tax purposes. To do this, you would first complete the federal tax return, in this case reporting the foreign pension income as "other income." You would then e-file or mail in the federal return. Next, you would change the income reporting on the federal tax return to conform with state requirements, and then file the state return. This would be possible in states that allow the state return to be e-filed separate from the federal tax return, or for states that do not require e-filing so you could mail in the return.

INTUIT - Turbo Tax, PLEASE! just let us use a generic, for example nine zeros or nine Xs, payer's federal identification number so we can properly file form 1099-R and our federal and state taxes. It shouldn't be that difficult. I want to report all my income, including our foreign retirement income. I'm not filing paper tax returns because I have capital gain taxes and foreign taxes and credits to report, my tax return is quite thick.  I've been using generic numbers for FIN on form 1099-R to file my taxes for years (this year that option is no longer available, I've noticed that they also changed 2022, although I was able to e-file 2022 returns in February 2023). I'm unable to report foreign pension as other income because I won't receive pension exclusion on my NY state IT-201 form.  If I'm unable to e-file my taxes this year because of this, I'm switching to HR or TaxAct.

@ThomasM125 

FYI: 99-9999999 or 11-1111111 don't work anymore.

@DaveF1006 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, is Turbo Tax rejecting your return for efiling or did the IRS reject it? 

@ParkNYC 

It's impossible to e-file tax returns with errors, so it's Turbo Tax.

11-1111111 worked in 2022 and previous years and I was able to properly file our taxes.

This year it does not work. This is a bug which needs to be fixed.

Foreign pensions should be reported on 1099-R form so state exclusions can be properly applied.

Without that I won't be able to e-file my taxes for 2023.

I'm sure there are more people in the US receiving foreign pensions.

If their tax advisors report his as a other income, they are losing lots of money because they're not getting important exclusions. I know a CPA who's been doing this for a while until I confronted him about the issue.

@DaveF1006 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies