turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used my HSA to pay medical expenses for non-dependent adult children covered by my insurance plan. Is that a non-qualified expense?

in 2017 both my adult children were covered by my health insurance plan as they were under 26. However, when I filed my 2017 taxes, I could not claim them as dependents. Does that make those expenses I used the HSA for unqualified? If so, can I repay my HSA provider and avoid the 20% penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I used my HSA to pay medical expenses for non-dependent adult children covered by my insurance plan. Is that a non-qualified expense?

@dill4fam wrote:

Right, it’s an eligible HSA expense because of the income exception, not because it would have been a Schedule A deduction (as the adult kids were not your QC or QR tax dependent). Semantics.

There's a lot of weird stuff in this post.  Let's clarify.

1. The original post was from 2018 even though it is dated 2019. @AF6336 posted in 2020 and @dill4fam replied in late 2021, long after the thread should have been dead and buried.

2. The rules for qualified HSA contributions are the same as the rules for medical expense deductions on schedule A.  You can use HSA funds for expenses for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents.  You can also use HSA funds for someone who could have been your dependent except they were disqualified by income or marital status.  However, this means that you still must provide more than half your child's total financial support—this is one of the other important tests for claiming a person as a qualifying relative dependent.  

Remember there are two types of dependents.  For qualifying child dependent, they are your dependent if they are under age 19, or under age 24 while being a full time student, and they live with you, and they don't provide more than half their own support.  Their income is not disqualifying, unless the provide more than half their own support, in which case their medical expenses won't be HSA eligible.

For qualifying relative dependent, this will apply to a child over age 19 or 24, as long as the taxpayer provides more than half the child's support and the child has less than the income limit ($4300 for 2021).  Here, if the child is disqualified from being a tax dependent by their income, their medical expenses are still HSA eligible as long as the parent provides more than half their support.  If the parent does not provide more than half their support, their expenses are not HSA eligible. 

3. @AF6336 said "IRS advised me that my 20 year old child is eligible to be covered by my health insur till age 26, but I cannot  contribute separate  HSA funds for him because he is over 19 and  not  in college full time."

This is very confusing.  The taxpayer's contributions are only limited by the type of HDHP insurance they have—family or single.  The age of their kids doesn't matter.   It is withdrawals where the child's status comes into play.   @AF6336 could use HSA funds to pay their child's (over 19, not a student) co-pays as long as they provide more than half their child's total financial support. 

4. Finally, there is a huge benefit that has not been discussed here.  If the child can't be claimed as a tax dependent, but is covered by a qualifying HDHP plan (their parents' plan), the CHILD can open an HSA in their own name and make tax-deductible contributions.  The child can open the HSA at any participating bank, it does not have to be through their or their parent's employer.  This means that a child between the ages of 19 and 25, who has a job making more than $4300 (but is still covered by their parent's family HDHP), can open an HSA and make tax-deductible contributions, then withdraw those contributions to pay their own medical expenses (even if the parents also have an HSA). This will result in a tax savings to the child as long as the child's income is more than $12,400.  

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

They are qualified expenses.  Even if the children are not your dependents, medical expenses can be claimed if you paid them and the only reason why the individual (your child) could not be claimed is because of their income (the child had more than $4050).  If that is the case, you may still claim the expense as a qualifying one for the HSA because, if you didn't have the HSA, you would be able to claim the expense as a potential medical expense deduction on Schedule A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AF6336

IRS advised me that my 20 year old child is eligible to be covered by my health insur till age 26, but I cannot  contribute separate  HSA funds for him because he is over 19 and  not  in college full time.  I assumed from there I couldn't use  my HSA funds for his copays etc.

Is any of that true?

@DanielV01 A person must be a Qualifying Child or a Qualifying Relative to deduct their medical expenses on Schedule A.

If an adult child who’s not a tax dependent has expenses and HSA exception rules allows you to cover that expense from your HSA...it’s not b/c that would have been a Schedule A deduction as  they would not have been a Qualifying Relative.  Is there some exception I’m not familiar with?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/can-i-deduct-medical-expenses-i-...

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Is there some exception I’m not familiar with?

A.  Yes.  But, it's a someone minor exception.  See #3 below. This is the same exception referred to, above, by DaniaelV01.  Note that  being on your insurance is not required. This is known as being a "medical dependent). 

From IRS Publication 969: "Qualified medical expenses [for an HSA distribution] are those expenses that would generally qualify for the medical and dental expenses deduction" . "Qualified medical expenses are those incurred by the  following persons.
1. You and your spouse.
2. All dependents you claim on your tax return.
3. Any person you could have claimed as a dependent on your return except that:

a. The person filed a joint return;
b. The person had gross income of $4,300 or more; or
c.  You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2020 return".

Note that just  being on your insurance  does not qualified as an exception.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf  (page 9)

Right, it’s an eligible HSA expense because of the income exception, not because it would have been a Schedule A deduction (as the adult kids were not your QC or QR tax dependent). Semantics.

@dill4fam wrote:

There's a lot of weird stuff in this post.  Let's clarify.

1. The original post was from 2018 even though it is dated 2019. @AF6336 posted in 2020 and @dill4fam replied in late 2021, long after the thread should have been dead and buried.

2. The rules for qualified HSA contributions are the same as the rules for medical expense deductions on schedule A.  You can use HSA funds for expenses for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents.  You can also use HSA funds for someone who could have been your dependent except they were disqualified by income or marital status.  However, this means that you still must provide more than half your child's total financial support—this is one of the other important tests for claiming a person as a qualifying relative dependent.  

Remember there are two types of dependents.  For qualifying child dependent, they are your dependent if they are under age 19, or under age 24 while being a full time student, and they live with you, and they don't provide more than half their own support.  Their income is not disqualifying, unless the provide more than half their own support, in which case their medical expenses won't be HSA eligible.

For qualifying relative dependent, this will apply to a child over age 19 or 24, as long as the taxpayer provides more than half the child's support and the child has less than the income limit ($4300 for 2021).  Here, if the child is disqualified from being a tax dependent by their income, their medical expenses are still HSA eligible as long as the parent provides more than half their support.  If the parent does not provide more than half their support, their expenses are not HSA eligible. 

3. @AF6336 said "IRS advised me that my 20 year old child is eligible to be covered by my health insur till age 26, but I cannot  contribute separate  HSA funds for him because he is over 19 and  not  in college full time."

This is very confusing.  The taxpayer's contributions are only limited by the type of HDHP insurance they have—family or single.  The age of their kids doesn't matter.   It is withdrawals where the child's status comes into play.   @AF6336 could use HSA funds to pay their child's (over 19, not a student) co-pays as long as they provide more than half their child's total financial support. 

4. Finally, there is a huge benefit that has not been discussed here.  If the child can't be claimed as a tax dependent, but is covered by a qualifying HDHP plan (their parents' plan), the CHILD can open an HSA in their own name and make tax-deductible contributions.  The child can open the HSA at any participating bank, it does not have to be through their or their parent's employer.  This means that a child between the ages of 19 and 25, who has a job making more than $4300 (but is still covered by their parent's family HDHP), can open an HSA and make tax-deductible contributions, then withdraw those contributions to pay their own medical expenses (even if the parents also have an HSA). This will result in a tax savings to the child as long as the child's income is more than $12,400.  

bmjs14302

Hi,

for the dependent that is not claimed for the reasons outlined,

c.  You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s 2020 return".

can I use my HSA for my father’s prescription cost not covered by his Medicare (donut hole cost).  I don’t claim him as a dependent but could (he doesn’t want that) and he makes more than $4300 of income.   

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No. The rules for qualified HSA distributions are the same as the rules for medical expense deductions on schedule A. You can use HSA funds for expenses for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. Not for non-dependents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@bmjs14302 wrote:

Hi,

for the dependent that is not claimed for the reasons outlined,

can I use my HSA for my father’s prescription cost not covered by his Medicare (donut hole cost).  I don’t claim him as a dependent but could (he doesn’t want that) and he makes more than $4300 of income.   

Based on the application of the rules to a parent, if you paid more than half the parent's total financial support (housing, food, medical, transportation, clothing, entertainment, and so on) then you can use your HSA to pay for your parent's medical expenses.

Dependent

You can include medical expenses you paid for your dependent. For you to include these expenses, the person must have been your dependent either at the time the medical services were provided or at the time you paid the expenses. A person generally qualifies as your dependent for purposes of the medical expense deduction if both of the following requirements are met.

1. The person was a qualifying child (defined later) or a qualifying relative (defined later).

2. The person was a U.S. citizen or national or a resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico. If your qualifying child was adopted, see Exception for adopted child, later.

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:

1. He or she received gross income of $4,300 or more in 2021;

2. He or she filed a joint return for 2021; or

3. You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2021 return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies