Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

the irs is asking me to fill out form 8812

how do I fill out the form on turbo tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Form 8812 is for the additional child tax credit. That amount would be listed on line 18(b) of your form 1040. I suggest you look on that line and see if you have an additional child tax credit listed on your tax return. If so, then the IRS just wants the form 8812 that supports that number. It should be included in the PDF copy of your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

don't have 18b on my 1040. line 18 is farm income or loss

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@africanhome2

What form are you looking at? Line 18b on the 2019 1040 (see here) is indeed the additional child tax credit.

To get this credit (if you are eligible), do a Search (upper right) for child tax credit and click on the jump-to link. Go through this section and both the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit will be added, if you are eligible.

Am026mack
Returning Member

I don't receive an 1040! Just w2

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The tax return you complete with your W-2 is the Form 1040. Once you enter information from your W-2 in the software, the Form 1040 will be created.

logicalfalicy
Returning Member

the schedule 8812 for 2020 says that line 8 of your child tax credit worksheet should be the first number entered on line 1 and on line 2 insert line 19 from 1040... my question is where is this child tax credit worksheet i am supposed find line 8 on? i have searched my turbo tax pdfs up and down to no avail... any idea what to put there or where to find this worksheet? 

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Click here for the Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other Dependents Worksheet for 2020 .

Please note that this pertains only to 2020 as the worksheets and Child Tax Credit has been changed for 2021.

vickie503

I am trying to file my tax return and I keep getting stuck after doing my federal with an error that shows I need to fill out form 8812. I do not have children and I am not married. Can anyone tell me why I am being stuck with this error?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

To resolve your issue, please try the following:

• Go to Tax Tools, then Tools
  • In the Tools Center, click on Delete a form
  • Click Delete next to the form 8812

I have the same issue not married no children.  Using Deluxe version, once I delete the Form 8812 Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents and then re-run smart check it just gets recreated.  Please correct this defect in your next update cycle.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

It is not a defect for tax year 2021. 

There are people who have received Advance Child Tax Credit Payments but are no longer qualified for the 2021 Child Tax Credit and may need to repay those payments. The IRS wants to be sure Taxpayers who received those payments report that information on their 2021 tax Year return. If they no longer have dependents, the question would never come up.

TurboTax incorporated the question in the Step-by-Step interview in the Online programs, and implemented Form 8812 in the Desktop programs since some Taxpayers are able to navigate through Forms rather than Step-by-Step. 

It may seem like an inconvenience, but considering the cost of people "forgetting" to report the advance payments and the IRS having to track them down, it was decided that asking about form 8812 when no dependents are listed was the smarter route. 

I was a dependent on my parents return in 2020.  This is the first return I am completing as not being a dependent and I have noted when asked that I have no dependents and I personally have never received any Advance Child Tax Credit Payments.  Form 8812 is asking how much I received on letter 6419 and I have never received letter 6419.  Placing a zero on Form 8812 seems to be the only way the TurboTax software will let me proceed.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

$0 is correct in your situation. And you do need to enter the $0 to proceed with preparing your return.

MarcyRo

I am stuck on this same predicament and cannot find a way out of it.  Any clues, Intuit??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies