Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Cares act allows for a deduction of up to $300 for charitable contributions made in 2020 and does not require itemization to take this deduction. How/where do I input charitable contributions in

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The Cares act allows for a deduction of up to $300 for charitable contributions made in 2020 and does not require itemization to take this deduction. How/where do I input charitable contributions in

Just enter the donations in the charity section of the deductions & credits tab and  if you do not itemize deductions then the program will automatically enter the $300 correctly ...  nothing extra you need to do. 

charity 2020  $300.jpgcharity 2020  $300  2   .jpg

To enter charitable donations -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Charitable Donations
  • On Donations to Charity in 2020, click on the start or update button

Or enter charitable donation in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to charitable donation

The program will enter the cash contribution on your federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 10b as an Adjustment to Income if your total itemized deductions are not greater than your Standard Deduction.

This is not working correctly.  I took the standard deduction and entered $300.00 for charitable contributions.  TurboTax didn't deduct the $300.00.

@oldfogie wrote:

This is not working correctly.  I took the standard deduction and entered $300.00 for charitable contributions.  TurboTax didn't deduct the $300.00.

It will only show up after the Deductions & Credits section it totally done and completed and TurboTax selects the standard deduction.   Until then, it is  not know if you will qualify or not.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Ted57

I'm using TT Premier 2020 updated to January 18.  I've entered a $300 charitable cash donation in the walk through, but it is not reflected on line 10 reductions to income on the 1040 form view.  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

For 2020, Congress has changed tax law to permit the deduction of certain charitable contributions “above the line”, even if the taxpayer is taking the Standard Deduction otherwise. The new deduction will appear on line 10b on the 1040.

There are restrictions: the contribution must be in cash or cash-equivalent and it cannot exceed $300 for most filing statuses (exception: $150 for Married Filing Separate).

To enter this deduction, you must enter the charitable contributions as if you were going to itemize these contributions (do a Search (upper right) for charitable contributions and click on the jump-to result). Be sure to indicate that the contribution was “Money” or else TurboTax will not ask about it later.

Note that you do not need to enter any other charitable contributions if you are not planning to itemize.

Then, in the Federal Review at the end of your data entry, TurboTax will realize that you are taking the Standard Deduction and ask you to enter the amount of the charitable contribution that was in cash. Note the limits described above ($300 or $150); in the desktop product, at least, if you enter an amount larger than this, you will be asked to reduce it to the limit when you enter the amount.

When you enter the cash-based charitable contribution this way, the result will appear on line 10b on the 1040 as an above-the-line deduction.

@Ted57

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies