turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The $300 credit for charitable contribution is not showing up on my tax refund yet. I am taking the standard deduction.

The $300 credit that would show up on line 10b of Form 1040
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

The $300 credit for charitable contribution is not showing up on my tax refund yet. I am taking the standard deduction.

Entering this deduction is a two-step process...please see below:

For 2020, Congress has changed tax law to permit the deduction of certain charitable contributions “above the line”, even if the taxpayer is taking the Standard Deduction otherwise. The new deduction will appear on line 10b on the 1040.

There are restrictions: the contribution must be in cash or cash-equivalent and it cannot exceed $300 for most filing statuses (exception: $150 for Married Filing Separate).

To enter this deduction, you must enter the charitable contributions as if you were going to itemize these contributions (do a Search (upper right) for charitable contributions and click on the jump-to result). Be sure to indicate that the contribution was “Money” or else TurboTax will not ask about it later.

Note that you do not need to enter any other charitable contributions if you are not planning to itemize.

Then, in the Federal Review at the end of your data entry, TurboTax will realize that you are taking the Standard Deduction and ask you to enter the amount of the charitable contribution that was in cash. Note the limits described above ($300 or $150); in the desktop product, at least, if you enter an amount larger than this, you will be asked to reduce it to the limit when you enter the amount.

When you enter the cash-based charitable contribution this way, the result will appear on line 10b on the 1040 as an above-the-line deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

found this wasn't true in the desktop version.   i entered the "money" contribution on the contribution worksheet for schedule A but it did not carry to the 1040.  I could not itemize so that was not the problem. Does desktop have a BUG? when I entered the amount on the 1040 worksheet line 10a and then the allowable amount on 10b that worked. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, the Desktop version of TurboTax has a different method of inputting the $300 Charitable Deduction for those who take the standard deduction.

Just enter the donations the 1040/1040SR Wks Form. This is found in Forms in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Enter the $300 in the upper box as indicated below and this information will be carried to the 1040 where the $300 will be deducted from you taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This doesn't work either. It keep sending me back to review

If you're taking the standard deduction, to get the $300 credit to show up, you should be sure that you've completed the Deductions & Credits section.  Then go through several screen until the program indicates you are receiving the Standard Deduction.  The next screen asks for the charitable contribution.

Cash Contributions.JPG

This answer is credited to DoninGA.

@ralvarezg1

Your suggestion worked for me but I had to input the information on the form itself.  Turbo Tax did not ask me the question about the $300 deduction, the review just told me to that something was missing and I had to fix it.  I had to play detective to find out what 1040 wks form they were writing about (wks= worksheet)

This note did not show up on my desktop Turbotax.  Ihad to go to the form itself and fill in $300.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

I am glad you were able to figure it out.  Unfortunately, different situations leading up to that point can have an effect on how things appear.

It isn't actually a "credit".  It is an "adjustment to income" (like a deduction) if you have indicated that you did "give a $300 Cash Contribution to charity" during the year.

I am experiencing the same thing on my 2022 tax return! My $365 charitable deduction is not showing up on my joint 1040SR either in line 10b or line 12c. Can anyone explain why to me? 

@userbfield7 wrote:

I am experiencing the same thing on my 2022 tax return! My $365 charitable deduction is not showing up on my joint 1040SR either in line 10b or line 12c. Can anyone explain why to me? 

For tax year 2022 charitable donations can only be entered on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.  You can no longer enter a cash donation on a Form 1040 when using the Standard Deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies