Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax form 5405 First time home buyers

First time homebuyers credit repayment, I am not able to complete. I did not sell in 2019, I did not use home as main home in 2019. It does not let me input information
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you sold or otherwise moved out of the home where you got the credit in a previous year, you were supposed to report the disposal of the home on form 5405 in that year.  The only time you can transfer the repayment to a new home is if the prior home was condemned or destroyed by fire, flood, etc.  Then you have the option of transferring the 15 year payment schedule to a new home.  In all other circumstances, you must close out the credit in the year the home stops being your main home.  

If you sold with a gain or converted it to a rental, you owed immediate repayment of the remaining balance. If you sold at a loss, you owed no further repayments but it must be reported.  If you transferred your share of ownership to a spouse in a divorce, you file the form to transfer responsibility for your share of the credit. Either way, you file form 5405 in the year the home stops being your main home and you make no payments after.

You will need to file an amended return for the year you moved out of the home and report that on form 5405.  You can claim credit for payments you made through 2018.  You may owe additional tax if you had a gain on the home.  For 2019, you don't owe repayment but the IRS thinks you do so you will have to file by mail.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you sold or otherwise moved out of the home where you got the credit in a previous year, you were supposed to report the disposal of the home on form 5405 in that year.  The only time you can transfer the repayment to a new home is if the prior home was condemned or destroyed by fire, flood, etc.  Then you have the option of transferring the 15 year payment schedule to a new home.  In all other circumstances, you must close out the credit in the year the home stops being your main home.  

If you sold with a gain or converted it to a rental, you owed immediate repayment of the remaining balance. If you sold at a loss, you owed no further repayments but it must be reported.  If you transferred your share of ownership to a spouse in a divorce, you file the form to transfer responsibility for your share of the credit. Either way, you file form 5405 in the year the home stops being your main home and you make no payments after.

You will need to file an amended return for the year you moved out of the home and report that on form 5405.  You can claim credit for payments you made through 2018.  You may owe additional tax if you had a gain on the home.  For 2019, you don't owe repayment but the IRS thinks you do so you will have to file by mail.

vgangwer1

Your issue is my issue also.  I have input correct information into the top of form and answered yes to box, but it wants to delete form immediately and not let anyone input information in Part  I, II, or II

It needs an update to correct this problem

@vgangwer1 

The form 5405 is indeed working correctly ... so are you still using the home as your personal residence or did you sell it in 2020?  

@vgangwer1 

form 5405 can only be included on your tax return if you sold or moved out of your home in 2020. If you are still living in the home, you don’t need the form, you simply include the payment on your tax return on schedule 2, line 7B. TurboTax will do this for you if you answer the interview questions correctly.

If you moved out of your home prior to 2020, you can’t include form 5405 on this year‘s tax return. You must report the move and include form 5405 on the tax return for the year you sold or moved out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies