turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulas

Hello, I’ve been claiming my daughter on my taxes since 2016. My daughter did not receive her 1st and 2nd stimulas but she received the 3rd. I was not able to claim that when I filed my taxes. Also, my daughter will be turning 6 on the 23rd of July. I filed single, made less than $75,000 so why didn’t I qualify for the child tax credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tsmeadow
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulas

Hello Dawn,

First, regarding the first and second stimulus payments, you should have been able to claim those payments as a Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 Federal return.   If your daughter qualifies as a dependent, you should have received $500 for the first stimulus payment and $600 for the second stimulus for your daughter.  Since you did not receive the two stimulus payments, I would recommend amending your 2020 return to receive both credits. 

Instructions to Amend using Turbotax Online:

1. Sign in to your Turbotax account

2. On the Tax Home Screen scroll down to your 2020 Return information. 

3. Under the 2020 return information, there should be an option to Amend/Change the Return.  Click that option and click Amend using Turbotax Online.  

4. Turbotax Online will ask why you are amending.  You can explain you are amending to add the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

5.  The Amend Screen will include your income, deductions, and credits.   You will want to scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "continue."  One of the next few screens should ask if you received the total stimulus payments you should have based on your income/dependents.  The Turbotax Online program calculates the amounts based on your income/dependents.  You will select "No", and enter the amounts you actually received.   If the amounts you entered are less than what you should have received, Turbotax Online will add the Recovery Rebate credit in the amount that you should have received.  

How to Amend using Turbotax Desktop: 

1.  Open the 2020 Turbotax Desktop Program.

2.  On the first Desktop Screen, you will select "Amend a Filed Return."

3.  You will want to amend the 2020 return that was filed.  

Second, regarding the child tax credit, I assume you are referencing the both the 2020 Child Tax Credit and the 2021 Advanced Child Tax Credit.  To determine why you did not receive the 2020 credit/Advance child tax credit, I would recommend checking a few entries on your 2020 return to make sure they are correct. 

First, you want to review the My Info Section on your 2020 return.  You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of the Turbotax Screen and clicking "Add a State" under your 2020 return information.  This will open up your original filed 2020 return.  You will want to Select Federal and My Info once the return loads.   You want to select "Edit" next to your dependent.  Progress through the dependent question screens.  You will come to the screen that asks to enter your daughters social security number.  This screen also has a question "Is your dependent's Social Security Number Valid for Employment?"  Make sure this box is not checked.  The Social Security Administration issues social security cards "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" to individuals who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but have a valid non-work reason for needing a Social Security number.  Checking this box would make your dependent ineligible for the Child Tax Credit.  If the box is checked, you do not want to change it in this screen.  Click Tax Home on the left menu and Click Amend/Change Return to uncheck the box.  

Second, I would verify that the other options in the Dependent screen are correct.  Be sure that the entry that the dependent lived with you all year/12 months is entered (if applicable), etc... Also, if you have filed an amended 2020 return that is still pending with the IRS this seems to cause a delay in the IRS issuing the advance child tax credit.  

If you received the child tax credit on your 2020 return (check your form 1040 Line 19 and Line 28), but not the 2021 Advance Child Tax Credit, I would recommend visiting the IRS Advance Child Tax Credit Portal at the link below.  You can check your eligibility and update information if needed.  According to the IRS, in "Late Summer" you should be able to use the portal to "Make changes to your dependents, marital status and income" and "Re-enroll if you previously unenrolled."

Link: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tsmeadow
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulas

Hello Dawn,

First, regarding the first and second stimulus payments, you should have been able to claim those payments as a Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 Federal return.   If your daughter qualifies as a dependent, you should have received $500 for the first stimulus payment and $600 for the second stimulus for your daughter.  Since you did not receive the two stimulus payments, I would recommend amending your 2020 return to receive both credits. 

Instructions to Amend using Turbotax Online:

1. Sign in to your Turbotax account

2. On the Tax Home Screen scroll down to your 2020 Return information. 

3. Under the 2020 return information, there should be an option to Amend/Change the Return.  Click that option and click Amend using Turbotax Online.  

4. Turbotax Online will ask why you are amending.  You can explain you are amending to add the Recovery Rebate Credit.  

5.  The Amend Screen will include your income, deductions, and credits.   You will want to scroll to the bottom of the screen and click "continue."  One of the next few screens should ask if you received the total stimulus payments you should have based on your income/dependents.  The Turbotax Online program calculates the amounts based on your income/dependents.  You will select "No", and enter the amounts you actually received.   If the amounts you entered are less than what you should have received, Turbotax Online will add the Recovery Rebate credit in the amount that you should have received.  

How to Amend using Turbotax Desktop: 

1.  Open the 2020 Turbotax Desktop Program.

2.  On the first Desktop Screen, you will select "Amend a Filed Return."

3.  You will want to amend the 2020 return that was filed.  

Second, regarding the child tax credit, I assume you are referencing the both the 2020 Child Tax Credit and the 2021 Advanced Child Tax Credit.  To determine why you did not receive the 2020 credit/Advance child tax credit, I would recommend checking a few entries on your 2020 return to make sure they are correct. 

First, you want to review the My Info Section on your 2020 return.  You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of the Turbotax Screen and clicking "Add a State" under your 2020 return information.  This will open up your original filed 2020 return.  You will want to Select Federal and My Info once the return loads.   You want to select "Edit" next to your dependent.  Progress through the dependent question screens.  You will come to the screen that asks to enter your daughters social security number.  This screen also has a question "Is your dependent's Social Security Number Valid for Employment?"  Make sure this box is not checked.  The Social Security Administration issues social security cards "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" to individuals who are lawfully admitted to the United States without work authorization from DHS, but have a valid non-work reason for needing a Social Security number.  Checking this box would make your dependent ineligible for the Child Tax Credit.  If the box is checked, you do not want to change it in this screen.  Click Tax Home on the left menu and Click Amend/Change Return to uncheck the box.  

Second, I would verify that the other options in the Dependent screen are correct.  Be sure that the entry that the dependent lived with you all year/12 months is entered (if applicable), etc... Also, if you have filed an amended 2020 return that is still pending with the IRS this seems to cause a delay in the IRS issuing the advance child tax credit.  

If you received the child tax credit on your 2020 return (check your form 1040 Line 19 and Line 28), but not the 2021 Advance Child Tax Credit, I would recommend visiting the IRS Advance Child Tax Credit Portal at the link below.  You can check your eligibility and update information if needed.  According to the IRS, in "Late Summer" you should be able to use the portal to "Make changes to your dependents, marital status and income" and "Re-enroll if you previously unenrolled."

Link: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021

DemiW
Expert Alumni

Stimulas

Greetings @dawnlynne44!  

@tsmeadow  I definitely agree. @dawnlynne44 will want to review her return and amend if necessary if her daughter is considered a qualifying child for purposes of the child tax credit. 

• must live with you for more than half of the tax year,
  • can not provide over half of her own support for the calendar year, 
  • must not file a joint return for the tax year.
  • must be either your child, stepchild, eligible foster child, sibling, grandchild, niece, or nephew.
  • must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or other qualifying resident alien.
  • must be under the age of 17 at the end of the year for the tax return on which the IRS bases the payment.
  • must have an SSN valid for employment or an adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN). Note that a child who has an ITIN is not a qualifying child for this payment.

If those were met AND  you are eligible as a taxpayer; you will need to apply for the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2020 tax return or amend if you already filed.  Please note the same qualifiers are for the Child Tax Credit as well.  Additionally, you should be able to claim Head of Household if you have a qualifying dependent. 

Feel free to contact  TurboTax if you need further assistance.

Cindyhull

Stimulas

O got my frist one and i move so it was ma uo l back can i get tham for u guy

DemiW
Expert Alumni

Stimulas

Hi @Cindyhull!

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that one of your stimulus was mailed back due to your moving.  Unfortunately, TurboTax does not issue the Economic Impact Payments, they are issued directly from the IRS.  Be sure  to contact the IRS directly regarding your Economic Impact Payment at 1-800-919-9835.

Per the IRS website, you may have to request a payment trace:

You should only request a payment trace to track your payment if you received Notice 1444 or Notice 1444-B showing your payments were issued or your online account shows your payment amounts (dates are not provided) and you have not received it within the timeframes below. IRS assistors cannot initiate a payment trace unless it has been:

• 5 days since the deposit date and the bank says it hasn’t received the payment
  • 4 weeks since the payment was mailed by check to a standard address for the first EIP
  • 6 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a forwarding address on file with the local post office
  • 9 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a foreign address for the first EIP; March 31, 2021 for the second EIP

Note: If you have a foreign address, there may be international service disruptions at the United States Postal Service (USPS) or the foreign country you are in due to the COVID-19 pandemic. See the USPS Service Alerts page and check with your local consulate for more information.

Do not request a payment trace to determine if you were eligible for a payment or to confirm the amount of payment you should have received.

How we process your claim

We’ll process your claim for a missing payment in one of two ways:

• If the check was not cashed, we will reverse your payment and notify you. If you find the original check, you must return it as soon as possible. You will need to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return to receive credit, if eligible.
  • If the check was cashed, the Treasury Department’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service  will send you a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. Follow the instructions. The Treasury Department’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before determining whether the payment can be reversed. If reversed, you will need to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 return, if eligible.

Note: If you are filing your 2020 tax return before your trace is complete, do not include the payment amount on line 16 or 19 of the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet. You may receive a notice saying your Recovery Rebate Credit was changed, but an adjustment will be made after the trace is complete and it is determined your payment has not been cashed. You will not need to take any additional action to receive the credit.  

To start a payment trace:

Hope this helps,  @Cindyhull 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies