Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule D Error

Turbo Tax Business is flagging an error on form 1120S line 23b that is a zero on my return.  This line is a summary of the tax on capital gains from Schedule D.  I have no capital gains and Schedule D is completely blank, but I can't get rid of this error.  If I delete Schedule D because it is not required, it keeps coming back and TT is reporting an flagging an error on form 1120S line 23b which is zero.

How do I get rid of this error?  It is preventing me from filing my return.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Error

When you delete a form but it is re-created by the software, that means that there is one or more entry in the software that is creating the form.

Are you reporting a capital gains distribution in box 2a of IRS form 1099-DIV?

Is there a sale or disposition of a business asset on IRS form 4797 that is reported on Schedule D?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule D Error

There is no 1099-Div and there is no form 4797.  This is an S-corp return in TurboTax Business.  When I delete schedule D, I can delete the form; but the data field on the 1120S that references it is still flagged as an error.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Error

Is there any chance that you entered zeroes for capital gains anywhere?  The system often reads zeroes as an entry and then wants to calculate using them.  Those entries have to be left blank.

@chuck3 

Schedule D Error

No, Schedule D is completely blank - no zeroes, no nothing.  In fact, I’ve even deleted schedule D and the error is still there on the 1120S.

Schedule D Error

Here's what might be an important clue...This error only showed up when I elected to file the return online.  If I elect to file the return by mail, the error goes away and when I do the final review, it says that the return has no errors.

Schedule D Error

Can someone please confirm that this has been reported as a bug?  It is preventing me from filing my return.

Schedule D Error

This did NOT solve my problem l want this reported as a bug.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Error

What field on the 1120S does the Schedule D keep taking you back to?    Do you have Form 8949 included with the return?  

Schedule D Error

When i click on the error on form 1120S line 23b it takes me to Schedule D line 23 which is the bottom-line tax on Schedule D.  I have absolutely no capital gains that would require a Schedule D at all.  My return is very straight-forward, and I have no unusual forms that would trigger this either.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Error

No form 8949 included?  

Schedule D Error

There is NO form 8949.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Error

Were you able to resolve your issue here or are you still needing guidance? 

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

Schedule D Error

I run updates daily and there has been no resolution.  Can you confirm that this has been reported as a bug?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Error

You can try entering $1 on line 16 of schedule D Part III if there isn't an entry there. If that resulted in a $0 on line 23 of that schedule, it would flow to line 23(b) of Form 1120-S and that might remove the error. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies