turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Income

If my accountant has added rental income on K1 for my LLC do you have to file a 1099-misc for same rental income on my 1040.   Form 8825 included with the K1 has the same dollar figure as the 1099-Misc received from the rental management company.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Rental Income

Was the 1099-MISC issued to you or the LLC? Was the LLC a single-member or multi-member LLC? (Sound's like the later filing a 1065 with K-1 to you).

If the LLC owns the rental property, the 1099 should go to it and should be reported on the LLC's 1065 (flowing to you via the K-1).  If so do not put the 1099-MISC on your 1040.

If the 1099-MISC was issued to you personally, with your SSN, you need to figure out how to get that to appear on your return or you risk the IRS matching computers wondering where it is. I would ask your accountant about that. It could be that you just attach a statement and don't worry about it. If the IRS asks you can then easily show that it was reported on the LLC return. Of course the IRS might give you grief about why the 1099 went to you and not the LLC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Rental Income

The 1099-MISC is issued to the LLC, but my name was at the top of the recipients field.  Its not using my SS# but the recipients TIN which I believe is the same as the FEIN for the LLC.  Appears that the income was included with the K1.  Just started using a management company for the rental,  so i had never received a 1099-MISC. 

jtax
Level 10

Rental Income

If the 1099-MISC EIN is the LLC's and the LLC filed a 1065 giving you individually a k-1 that lists the income (K-1 box 2 I would guess), you should be fine.  The name isn't on the 1099 isn't very important. It's the EIN/SSN that really matters. That said, it is sloppy of the management company to get that wrong.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies