Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refinanced mortgage interest deduction on primary and second home not correct

Using EasyStep entry, I entered 1098 data for both mortgages which were refinanced in 2021 and total much less than $750,000.  The total interest shown on the Schedule A form is an amount of approximately half the total combined interest, but not equal to either of the individual interest amounts. 

Upon looking a the forms for Home Int Wkst for each mortgage, the Smart Worksheet section entry B is NO, but it actually is a refinance of a previous loan, so it should be YES.  When I change this to YES for each refinanced mortgage, then both mortgage interests are correctly totaled as a deduction on Schedule A.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I suggest as a work around that you use the procedure you identified to changing the answer to YES for refinance so that you can get the correct deduction.  As long as you have the correct amount for tax processing that will satisfy the IRS as they have that information already.

@davedski

{Edited | 3/13/2023 10:38AM PST}

@davedski

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correction to my original statement. Only the second home mortgage interest is reported, and that amount is correct for that mortgage.  Additionally, the prorated points amount is correctly shown as a separate deduction since they are to reported on the 1098 form.  So for some reason I am not being given a deduction for my primary residence mortgage interest.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I suggest as a work around that you use the procedure you identified to changing the answer to YES for refinance so that you can get the correct deduction.  As long as you have the correct amount for tax processing that will satisfy the IRS as they have that information already.

@davedski

{Edited | 3/13/2023 10:38AM PST}

@davedski

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Cynthiad66 !   I’ll use the work around you confirmed.  Last year’s TurboTax calculated this all correctly.  When I looked at the “Smart Worksheet” for last year it seems there were a little bit of difference in the fields listed there compared to this years.

Dave

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies