turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery Rebate Credit Rejected By IRS

I did not receive either of the stimulus checks during 2020 even though I more than qualified for them.  When I filed my 2020 return on TurboTax I was prompted through the Recovery Rebate Credit section by TurboTax and received an $1,800 credit approved by TurboTax.  That Recovery Rebate Credit brought me from owing $500 to receiving a $1,300 refund.  Several weeks ago I received a letter from the IRS rejecting the Recovery Rebate Credit without any explanation and demanding a $500 payment.  How can that be?  I didn't receive either stimulus check in 2020 and TurboTax guided me through the Recovery Rebate Credit on my return and approved my return for submission.  I replied to the IRS letter with a letter explaining the above which got nowhere, but I wanted to have a paper trail.   a second IRS letter was just received demanding payment in a week.  Does TurboTax  back up returns that they have approved and the IRS disapproves?  There's no online support when you go to there site like there is during tax season.  It seems totally unfair to not receive either stimulus check  and then get rejected by the IRS for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Is there any way I can get some justice with this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Look at your account on the IRS site.   See if the IRS shows that they sent you a stimulus payment that you did not receive.   If that happened you can have them trace it.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If you were issued a payment and have not received it, see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments? 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And this part of your question....

" Does TurboTax  back up returns that they have approved and the IRS disapproves? "

TurboTax never "approves" of your refund.   Only the IRS can approve of your refund.  TurboTax just lets you know if your e-file was accepted or rejected.  "Accepted" does not mean "approved."

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies