turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emeraldstarr
Returning Member

recovery rebate credit for stimulus payment 2

I had a baby in Aug 2020 and did not get the second (Dec) stimulus payment for her because she was not on my 2019 taxes. I was unable to file my recovery rebate credit on turbotax because they did not give me that option through the program when I filed in April. In June I learned that I could amend my return using a 1040X and try to claim the additional $600 that I did not receive for my child previously. I mailed in the paperwork and have still not heard anything back from the IRS to even notify my that it was received. Is there anything I can do to check on that? How will that affect my taxes for 2021 when I am ready to file? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

Here are some tips on getting through to a live agent at IRS --

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to contact IRS for the status of the amended return.  The number to reach them at is 1-800-829-1040.  We recommend at 7am in order to get in their queue as early as possible.  This way you avoid times when their phone system is bombarded with calls.  Just let them know the situation -- you filed the original without the Recovery Rebate Credit and then amended to claim it for the $600.  They should be able to give you a status update.  Also, for future reference, IRS does not notify taxpayers that they have received your returns.  You will want to mail documents with tracking information such as Certified, FedEx, or UPS so that you have proof they received your mail.  Also, have you checked the "Where's My Amended Return" portal on the IRS website?  Here's a link to it:  https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

emeraldstarr
Returning Member

Thank you, but I have tried this phone number before and never been able to speak to a live person. It is all automated answers, and none of them deal with my specific circumstance. "Wheres my amended return" tool does not show that I have even submitted anything. Unfortunately, I mailed my paperwork using normal postage. At what point do I assume that it was never received, and file the 1040X again? I know that IRS is very backed up right now, but 6 months is a little extreme, right? 

Also, if this is not resolved before I am ready to file my 2021 taxes, what do I need to do differently when I file? Is it too late at that point?

It doesn't affect your 2021 return.   You don't mention it.   And actually you should have got both first 2 payments of $1,100 (500+600) for 2020.   Did you claim 1,100 on the amended return?  You're sure it wasn't on your original 1040 line 30?   

Did you get the 3rd Stimulus payment for 1,400 in 2021?   If you didn't, You can claim it on your 2021 return.

Amended returns are taking a very long time.  Like 6 months or more.  Just keep waiting.   

Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

So true VolvoGirl!  IRS is very backed up and taking many months to get returns processed.  Try calling IRS at 7am.  I've personally had great luck when I call that early.  I usually get someone on the phone within 10 minutes!

emeraldstarr
Returning Member

I currently have 2 kids (pregnant again and due any day now with #3!). Our oldest was listed on our 2019 taxes, and I have gotten all the stimulus payments for her. The second was born in Aug 2020, so I assumed I only qualified for the second stimulus payment for her, since she was not born when the first was given. I only requested the $600 for her in my 1040X, and I am sure it was not in my original 1040 line 30. Should she have qualified for the first payment as well? If so, what can I do at this point to receive the full $1,100? She was counted for the third stimulus payment as we had our 2020 taxes filed in time. 

Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the child born in 2020 would be eligible for both stimulus payments -- so a total of $1,100.  You would need to amend your return again if IRS doesn't correct when they finally process your amended return.  That is probably why it is still being processed.  Any time they need to make a change or notify you of an error it adds extra time.  Right now, with their backup, that could mean an additional 6 months wait time or more.  Just give them a call and get the status and see if they can adjust the return for you so that you won't have to file another amended return.

Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

Here are some tips on getting through to a live agent at IRS --

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

emeraldstarr
Returning Member

Thank you so much! I will certainly try what you have suggested. One final question: Like I mentioned before, I will have a third baby probably this week. So can I claim the recovery rebate credit for the third stimulus payment for her in my 2021 taxes? 

Donna F 77
Employee Tax Expert

Definitely!  Just make sure when you enter your info into TurboTax that you put the actual amounts of advance child tax credit and stimulus payments that you have already received.  It will calculate everything for you so that you get exactly what you are eligible for!

How was your second child born in 2020 listed on your return? Which box is checked?  For the Child Tax Credit or as Other Dependent?   When you added her did you say she lived with you the whole year (not just the months)?   A child born (even on Dec 31) is considered to live with you the whole year.

Did you you the Child Tax Credit for her?

Did you have anything on 1040 line 30?   If not you probably also needed to fix the child as living with you the whole year to get the Child Tax Credit and Stimulus payments.   

emeraldstarr
Returning Member

Sounds like I need to take another look at my return to see how I filed for my second child exactly. Thank you for all your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies