turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GreenMountain85
Returning Member

Non-resident alien spouse- Do I file as single?

Hi, I hope this is the right section to ask this question...

I got married this year. My spouse is a non-resident alien and does not have an ITIN yet. We have 3 children and I am solely responsible for all of our expenses, etc.

According to the IRS website "If you are a U.S. citizen married to a nonresident alien, you may qualify to use the head of household tax rates. You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes. You must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as a head of household."

So, I am taking this to mean that I can file as HOH. However... do I file as single since I am considered unmarried? Or do I file married-separately and is there a section where I can explain the situation? I tried to call the IRS help line and was directed to the website into that I referred to above. I feel like it's not a complicated situation- I just need to know which way to file! Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, if you were married on Dec 31 2020 then you cannot file single. In your case you can file as Head Of Household if you meet these requirements:

1. Paid more than half the cost to run your (or a qualifying parent's) home this year (rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.) and
  2. Supported a qualifying person.

From your explanation it sounds like you might qualify to file as head of household if your children lived with you.

For additional information:

If you don't meet the requirements you will have to file married filing separately if you do not choose to treat your spouse a resident for tax purposes and file married filing jointly. 

[Edited 2/1/2021| 7:45am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GreenMountain85
Returning Member

I apologize if this is a silly question but- I am supporting my spouse as well as 3 children. Don't they (at least my children) count as a qualifying person? I have paid for 100% of my home's expenses. Doesn't that qualify me for HOH?

According to what I've read, I have no choice but to not treat my spouse as a resident because he does not have an ITIN. I cannot include him because he doesn't have a SSN or ITIN.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, your children would be a qualifying person for head of household if they lived with you. I just wanted to list the requirements for your information.

You could choose to treat your spouse as resident for tax purposes and file a joint return but then you would have to apply for an ITIN and attach a statement to your tax return. Also, all of his worldwide income would have to be reported on your tax return. 

To make the choice attach a statement to your paper return (you can't e-file), signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following information:

1. A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of the tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year
  2. The name, address, and identification number of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)

Please see IRS Nonresident Alien Spouse for more details.

To apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for your spouse, please see How do I apply for an ITIN?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@GreenMountain85 wrote:

I apologize if this is a silly question but- I am supporting my spouse as well as 3 children. Don't they (at least my children) count as a qualifying person? I have paid for 100% of my home's expenses. Doesn't that qualify me for HOH?

According to what I've read, I have no choice but to not treat my spouse as a resident because he does not have an ITIN. I cannot include him because he doesn't have a SSN or ITIN.

You have not provided sufficient information.  Where do your children live?  Do you live with your spouse?

You can't file as HOH unless you are living separately from your spouse.  To file as HOH, you must provide care for a qualifying person who lives in your home more than half the year.  So if the children don't live with you they aren't qualifying persons for HOH.   Your spouse can never be a qualifying person for HOH because a spouse is never a dependent and because if you live with your spouse, you don't qualify for HOH to begin with.

Your other information is also incorrect.  You can file a joint return if you apply for an ITIN at the same time.

If your spouse is a non-resident alien, I assume you are living overseas and are still required to file a US tax return.  Here are your choices.

1. File married filing separately.  List only your own income and deductions.  To get Turbotax to complete the interview, you will need to provide your spouse's name and tax numbers, use a fake number such as 999-88-9999.  Print your return, you can't e-file.  Use white-out to cover the fake tax number and write "NRA" for your spouse's tax number.  Sign and mail your return.

2. File as married filing jointly.  If you make this election, you must report all your spouse's world-wide income as well as your own, even if your spouse is already taxed in another country.  (There is a deduction or credit for foreign taxes paid.). Use the same SSN trick to pass the interview.  Print your return and sign it.  Also complete a print a form W-7, application for ITIN for your spouse.  Mail the tax return, the W-7, and any proof required by the W-7, to the address used for processing W-7 applications.  After the IRS issues the ITIN, they will process the tax return.  

You may want to use an international mailing service with tracking and proof of delivery.

Your children can be your dependents if they are US citizens and have valid social security numbers.  Your children are probably US citizens if they are your biological children even if they are born overseas, but you will have to apply for SSNs from the embassy or consulate.  If your children are eligible for SSNs, don't file until you get them, even if you have to file late.  Certain tax benefits are only allowed if your child has a valid SSN and the tax return is filed on time.  (On time can be as late as October 15, but only if you request a 6 month extension before April 15.). If your children are not US citizens but are residents of Canada or Mexico, you can claim them as dependents but you need to apply for an ITIN for each of them as well. 

Your children must also live with you more than half the year, and meet all the other tests to be a dependent.

If your spouse and children live overseas and you live in the US, you still have the choice of filing MFS or MFJ, but if you file MFS, you can't include your children as dependents because they don't live with you.  You can include them if you file MFJ, because they live with your spouse, but again, only if they are US citizens or citizens of Mexico or Canada. 

GreenMountain85
Returning Member

This was very helpful! I didn't know it was possible to file for an ITIN this way. Previously for some reason I thought you had to have a current W2 to file for one (which he doesn't) so I thought it was not possible. I think this is definitely the way we'll be filing! Thank you for the  info.

GreenMountain85
Returning Member

Thank you for all of this helpful information.

I apologize for not giving more info. I didn't know how much or what to provide.

Our children live with us. My spouse lives with me. We are all living in the US. He does not have any income.

For some reason, I had thought that a W7 could only be filed if the non-resident alien had a W2 which my spouse does not have since he is not working. Obviously I was incorrect in thinking that. Now I see that a W7 for an ITIN can be filed if we file jointly and mail it in. That is what I am going to plan on doing.

@GreenMountain85 wrote:

Thank you for all of this helpful information.

I apologize for not giving more info. I didn't know how much or what to provide.

Our children live with us. My spouse lives with me. We are all living in the US. He does not have any income.

For some reason, I had thought that a W7 could only be filed if the non-resident alien had a W2 which my spouse does not have since he is not working. Obviously I was incorrect in thinking that. Now I see that a W7 for an ITIN can be filed if we file jointly and mail it in. That is what I am going to plan on doing.

Your spouse is NOT a "non-resident alien" if he lives in the US, he is a resident alien.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/resident-aliens

Or possibly he has been in the US less than 180 days of 2020, and does not pass the substantial presence test, which might make him an NRA for 2020, but he would be a resident alien for 2021.

In either case, filing a joint return would make him eligible for an ITIN even if he were an NRA for 2020.  Filing MFS in your situation will give you the best tax situation, even though there will be a delay in processing the return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies