turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mortgage interest statement Copy A to be filed with form 1096?

I refinanced my home in 2019. Seems straight forward enough. Although I've received three Mortgage Interest Statements. The first two are Copy B (For payer/Borrower) and both of these have Mortgage interest, an outstanding mortgage principal amount, one of which has a small mortgage insurance premium amount. 

The 3rd MIS appears to be Copy A (for Internal Revenue Service Center). Underneath the Copy A language a line states "File with Form 1096". What? Why can't this be more straight forward. This one doesn't have an amount in box 2 (outstanding mortgage principal} but has  a very large amount of Mortgage Insurance Premium in box 5 of the 1098. I entered the info available as my 3rd 1098 but when I go to review my return and check for errors, an error is found and prompts me to enter the Outstanding Mortgage principal in box 2, which is blank on the form i received. I'm lost and don't know what to enter here and I sure don't want to be audited.

It appears I can ignore and file as-is but again, don't want to be audited, should i just leave blank and file as-is? Please advise. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

That makes no sense ... only the bank issuing the 1098 needs to file anything with the IRS ... so why did they send you the B copy ?   Are either of the copy B marked as corrected ?   If you are confused I would contact the issuer to ask them to explain what they send and why. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's important to find out in that 1098-mtge was filed with the iRS.  if not your return will either be rejected or you'll get a notice from the iRS saying your mortgage interest deduction doesn't match the 1098's the IRS has on file. 

The 1098 Copy B's both came from the banks/mortgage holders. The first one is the loan I paid off, the 2nd is the new loan. 

The 3rd appears to be the mortgage broker group i used to facilitate the refi. On this 1098, I see the Copy A language (For internal Revenue Service Center) and "File with form 1096". It seems they may have held the mortgage for a week or so until the deal with the 2nd mortgage closed. Perhaps they are using this as a method to report the total amount of Mortg. Ins. Premium I paid and a very small amount of interest I paid (less than 100) during the 1-2 week transition period? Idk...guess i need to call them. Thanks for the speedy response.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies