turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married Filing Separately Calculations... Improvements for 2023?

Every year we are interested in discovering if it's better for us to file jointly or separately.  Every year I see the Turbotax instructions on how to do this....which is to fill out a complete joint tax return, but not file it. 

Then you go back and start all over again, entering a separate return for myself, and then a separate return for my husband.   You then manually compare the three returns.   It's incredibly tedious, and we're hoping this year, after we fill out the joint return, that Turbotax simply has a button that says something like "Click here to see if filing separately would save you money."  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

That feature is in the CD/Download product. All you do is go to forms mode and search for the what-if worksheet by typing what in the search box. After you have entered your married filing jointly return information, there is a box to check to compare married filing jointly with two married filing separately returns.

With all your years of making a comparison, has the two married filing separately tax returns ever been better than married filing jointly?

Thank you!  I will look for that What If area.   Jointly has always been better for us in the past, but in 2022 I got a new job and changed a lot of deductions, so I wanted to try it again.   Last year I didn't even try because I didn't know about the What If feature.   Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies