turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hdhayal

Major difference in getting the deductions

When I am comparing last year with the current year, I see many deductions shown last year but for the current year, it is only taking 24000. For example, It is showing that I was able to deduct state and local taxes but this year it is showing zero.  I am married filing jointly

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

There has been a change in the way our summary screens display state and local taxes.  In 2018 the screen listed the total of all state and local taxes entered into the program, even though the deduction was capped at $10,000.  This year, the screen shows the total amount that is being deducted (and will cap at $10,000, when applicable).  

If went through the Deductions & Credits section and entered all of your data, the indicator of $24,000 is telling us that your standard deduction was greater than the sum of your itemized deductions, after limitations were taken into consideration.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DT25

We paid over $15K in property taxes.  Everything says married filing jointly the cap is $10K.    TurboTax reduced the amount to $6318.  Why?  And State/Local taxes paid were $8757 but we're only allowed $3682.  The cap says the max is $10K.  Is the cap of $10K the combination of state/local taxes AND property tax?   Our income was almost $30K less in this tax filing but we're paying 50% higher taxes!

@DT25 

Yep...the 10k limit applies to the total of State/local income taxes plus Property/RealEstate Taxes plus Personal property taxes. 

On your Schedule A, you'll see that full total on line 5d...then line 5e is the smaller of 5d, or $10,000

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies