turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aruiz911

Form 2106 line 6

why turbo tax is asking me to complete line 6 of form 2106?  what goes there?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
RyanH2

Form 2106 line 6

Line 6 is the total employee expenses that you are claiming(the sum of all the expenses you entered and is done automatically).

If you are entering expenses, make sure you have an amount for each item you said you would be claiming. Go through the interview and concisely enter each response, only leaving something blank if it doesn't apply.

To do this:

1. Go to the search bar in the top right corner and enter "Form 2106"

2. Select "Jump to form 2106"

3. Select "Edit" next to your occupation and continue through the interview

If you do not need Form 2106 and want to delete it:

1. Go to "My Account" in the top right corner

2. Select "Tools"

3. Under "Tools Center" select "Delete a Form"

4. Navigate to "Form 2106" and select "Delete" next to it

Form 2106 line 6

It is showing that Form 2106 is not available yet.  Is anyone else having this problem.  It doesn't make sense for this form not to be available by now.

Form 2106 line 6

Yes. And it's infuriating. It's a bug that TurboTax should have fixed. Unreimbursed Employee Expenses are no longer deductible. But no matter how many zeros you put on this goddam form, you still can't efile and there is no fix for this error. 

I f*cking hate TurboTax. 

Form 2106 line 6

This is a lousy solution because it assumes you are using the grifter version (i.e., the online version) of TurboTax rather than the local version. 

Form 2106 line 6

Not much of a solution.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Form 2106 line 6

You can delete the form. See the Turbo Tax FAQ listed below for help with doing so.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tknb

Form 2106 line 6

I did not claim any expenses so not sure why it popped up anyway.

I selected the option to delete form 2106, it deleted it but when I go through the process to efile it pops up again and shows that it did not delete for 2106.

So frustrating! 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Form 2106 line 6

If you do not have any business expenses, you can delete the input as follows:

1. Go to the federal section of the program
  2. Go to Deductions & Credits 
  3. Under All breaks, select Employment Expenses 
  4. Select Job Expenses for W-2 Income 
  5. On the next page, you should see a page titled Review your job-related expenses info.  Please select the trash can icon to the right of the activity to delete any input in this section.
  6. This should remove Form 2106.  Please comment if this does not delete the form.  There may some input somewhere else in the program that is generating the form.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vash3169

Form 2106 line 6

My turbo tax says I must complete line 6 of form 2106.  What number do I need?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Form 2106 line 6

Line 6 if Form 2106 Employee Business Expenses is a total of other entries - you should not have to (or be able to) make a direct entry there.

Are you itemizing deductions and are you eligible to claim "Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses"?  Federal returns have strict limitations, but some states allow this. See Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

If you are not itemizing and/or are not eligible to claim unreimbursed employee business expenses, enter "0" where the program asks you to complete Line 6 of Form 2106. Another option would be to delete the Form 2106 - re-enter it if you are itemizing this deduction or leave it out if you are not itemizing this deduction.

See: How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online? 

John832

Form 2106 line 6

Just enter 0.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies