turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Itemized vs Standard Deduction

In 2019 TurboTax allowed me to itemize. In 2020 it now insists that I take the standard deduction (to my detriment) in spite of the numbers being near identical one year to the next. Has the tax code changed that much in one year? Thanks for any input.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

No, the tax law is basically the same in 2020 as in 2019. We can't see your tax return to see why TurboTax is choosing the Standard Deduction however, you can manually select Itemized Deductions. Keep in mind that switching to the other federal deduction may impact your state tax return.

Related information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply. I discovered an error in the mortgage interest deduction in that the T-T program did not automatically place it on the Schedule A. Wondering why, I discovered that there was a question during the interview asking for a declaration about how the loan was secured. Answering "yes" meant the loan was secured by the mortgaged property itself (likely the normal for most average filers) and the mortgage interest was properly deducted. That fixed things in my case. I do not recall from past filings needing to do this, but it is the case this year. I do believe the interview needs to make this delineation more obvious in future iterations of TurboTax. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies