turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is Covid 19 considered a federally declared natural disaster in 2021?Also, if it is not one,then where could I check on a regular basis to check if that changes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is Covid 19 considered a federally declared natural disaster in 2021?Also, if it is not one,then where could I check on a regular basis to check if that changes?

No, COVID was not a federally declared disaster in 2021.  Since 2021 will be over in a few hours, that is not going to change, so there is no need to check for that to change.

The COVID-affected taxpayer uses the disaster forms, but the rules are different.

Those forms aren't finalized yet.

for 2020 only Covid was declared by the IRS to be a “federally declared disaster,” as defined by section 165(i)(5)(A) of the Code.  However, that was only for “qualified disaster relief payment” as defined by section 139(b) of the Code. it includes any amount paid to or for the benefit of an individual to reimburse or pay reasonable and necessary personal, family, living, or funeral expenses incurred as a result of a qualified disaster.  Qualified disaster relief payments do not include income replacements such as sick leave or other paid time off paid by an employer. In addition, certain retirement plan distributions received favorable treatment if they qualified as either a Corona related distribution or a qualified disaster distribution (a presidential declared natural disaster area)  see 8915-E instructions for details of what the qualifications were.

nothing for 2021.  

2022 is possible 

check the FEMA website

https://www.fema.gov/disaster/declarations?field_dv2_state_territory_tribal_value=CA&field_year_valu... 

qualifying casualty losses will have the following in their designation by FEMA If the casualty loss is attributable to a federally declared disaster, it will have the following in its designation either DR- or EM-  with a declaration number assigned by FEMA. (See 4684 instructions.) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies